Goodricke edge Derwent in thriller

Four goals from Goodricke Firsts’ James Lewis was enough to secure the points against a resilient Derwent Fourths side

Goodricke Firsts
4
3
Derwent Fourths
Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Goodricke firsts secured their third victory of the tournament in their Group B match against Derwent fourths. With the driving rain making conditions troublesome for both sides, Goodricke’s James Lewis’ four goals were enough to ensure all three points went to the Heslington East team.

The game began at a ferocious pace and within minutes, Goodricke were ahead. Luke Sides’ lofted through ball found James Lewis bearing down on goal who nonchalantly slid the ball passed on-rushing Derwent goalkeeper, Josh Unsworth. The lead lasted only a matter of minutes, however, as Derwent responded with an equaliser moments later. Chris Morgan’s perfectly flighted corner was met by Alex Lake who stooped highest to direct his header beyond the helpless Alex Woolley in goal.

Goodricke were not to be denied, however, and soon after regained their lead. Matt Jeffery’s throw caused confusion in the Derwent penalty area and, unable to clear, the ball fell kindly to James Lewis who slotted home his second. Lewis could have secured his hat-trick minutes later as he was again sent through one on one, only to be thwarted by a strong right palm from Unsworth. Derwent’s defensive high line was playing into the hands of Goodricke and in particular the pace of James Lewis who’s third still alluded him, thanks to determined blocks by Derwent left-back, Luke Westhead.

Lewis finally earned the hat-trick he deserved in typical fashion; cutting in from the left wing he beat two defenders before finishing neatly. In an attempt to regain a foothold in the match, Derwent pressed forward as Soren Reischert and Alex Lake both went close to narrowing the scoreline. Unsworth made another fine save again to deny Lewis before the half-time whistle brought an exhilarating half to a close.

The second began in much the same vein as the first with Goodricke’s Rob Walters having the first shot in earnest. Soon Lewis had claimed his fourth thanks to an incisive reverse pass by Simon Hurst which allowed Lewis to further extend Goodricke’s lead. However, Derwent were not to be turned over so easily and began to pressurise their opposition. Such high pressing paid immediate dividends as Reischert closed down goalkeeper Woolley who could only direct the ball into the path of Morgan. The Derwent winger was unable to slot the ballĀ home with the goal at his mercy.

The deadly partnership of Morgan and Reischert soon paid off once more as the latter fed the former during a devastating counter attack which Morgan finished with aplomb, atoning for his earlier miss. Derwent were now in the ascendancy and it was only the tenacious defending of Jeffrey which prevented Ed Bazley from grabbing Derwent’s third.

A third Derwent goal did arrive courtesy of Jonny Long. Alex Lake’s lofted free kick was poorly dealt with by the Goodricke defence and Long was able to bundle it over the line from close range. With an unlikely comeback on the cards, Goodricke sought to reassert their dominance and Lewis nearly went through to earn himself a fifth goal. However, Unsworth made a superb save to cap what was a fine performance from the Derwent goalkeeper. There was no time for Derwent to respond and the final whistle sounded with Goodricke running out 4-3 winners.

Speaking after the game, Goodricke captain, Aaron Sullivan, spoke to Nouse saying, “I thought we played a bit below ourselves today. We were poor at the back but James Lewis took most of his chances. Once we did play our game it worked well.”

Meanwhile, Derwent vice-captain, Fred Weld, said, “We started very slowly but we came back into the game. They played all the football in the first half. We started playing well in the second and we were able to put pressure on them. Time ran out in the end and it was another performance we could have got something out of, but we didn’t. On the whole though, I am proud of the way we rallied.”

Goodricke (4-3-3): Woolley (GK); Duffin, Carmichael, Anderson, Jeffery; Sullivan (C), Boyle, Walters; Hurst, Lewis, Sides (Tandy).

Man of the Match: Rob Walters

Derwent (4-3-3): Unsworth (GK); Nichols (Barker), Weld (C), Palfreman, Westhead; Lake, Long, Hill (Hoff); Morgan, Reischert, Bazley.

Man of the Match: Alex Lake