Beat the heat

reveals her tips on how to keep your makeup looking fresh this summer

It’s coming to that time of the year again when, invariably, the dewiness we crave all year arrives due to the warmer weather and is promptly replaced what can only be described as a sweaty sheen. Not cute. And this sheen mixed with makeup can end in tears. These five tips should help improve the longevity of your makeup in the summer climate and keep you looking and feeling fresh from dawn to dusk.

La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat, £14.50

La Roche Posay Effaclar
Mat, £14.50

1. Prep

As we all produce more oil in the warmer months, it may be time to switch to an oil free moisturiser if you have naturally oilier skin or a lighter cream formula to satisfy slightly drier complexions. The French pharmacy skincare brands always do moisturisers well (and at a reasonable price) so try La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat for oily skins, or Avene Hydrance Optimale Light Protective UV.

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer, £29

Laura Mercier Foundation Primer, £29

2. Prime

Primers are one of the main steps that can really ensure longevity on your face. Laura Mercier does some great ones, and don’t just cater for oily skin, but also an Illuminating Primer for dull, dry skin. And when packing on the shadow, definitely pop some eye primer on to the lids. It’s personally something I do every day I wear makeup on my eyes and prevents creasing all day. The best ones I’ve tried have come from Nars and Urban Decay.

Nars Pro Prime, £19.50

Nars Pro Prime, £19.50

3. Thin layers

When applying pretty much any step in your makeup, try and do it in thin layers, building up when needed. For example, a thin layer of primer, followed by a small amount of foundation buffed well into the skin, finished with targeted spot and blemish correction with concealer. Using fewer products and making sure they are well-blended means it’s less likely to move around during the day and will mesh more effectively with your skin. Also, moving away from creamy products and to more water- or gel-based products will help keep the shine at bay.

The Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder, £8.99

4. Shine Control

A light dusting of powder down the T-zone will immediately tone down shine when applying makeup in the morning and extend the time before you need to deal with the slip on your face. The Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder is a really finely milled powder and is pretty much undetectable on the skin.

Caudalie Grape Water, £6

Caudalie Grape Water, £6

DHC Blotting Paper, £3

DHC Blotting Paper, £3

5. Refresh

During the day, if natural oils begin to build up, it’s probably best not to powder over the top. To absorb any excess oil, try blotting paper, which literally soaks up the excess oil, whilst maintaining the makeup underneath. The ones from DHC are a steal at £3. Powder tends to gather and make your complexion look a little cakey so to rejuvenate your makeup (and cool you down too) is to use some sort of moisturising spritz. The Caudalie Grape Water or something similar will refresh your complexion, and if you feel your makeup has started to separate,you can re-blend your base and it will look as good as new.