History students warned over Yik Yak abuse

A ‘foul-mouthed’ commentary was posted on the app during a first-year lecture

An e-mail was sent out to History students today regarding the use of Yik Yak during lectures.

Yik Yak logo

The social media app was used to anonymously degrade a staff member during a first-year lecture. According to the e-mail, students posted a “foul-mouthed running commentary” on the tutor’s teaching.

The department are unable to identify the handful of History students making the abusive commentary due to the anonymity of Yik Yak.

Stuart Carroll, Head of the History Department, labelled the Yaks “aggressive” and said they “overstepp[ed] the bounds of acceptability.”

He continued: “Such posts undermine good relations between members of our learning community, whether staff or students.”

The department has encouraged students to use social media more appropriately by ‘downvoting’ negatively-minded Yaks, only posting positive comments, or avoiding the app altogether in order to prevent audiences for bullying behaviour.

Carroll stated: “Collectively, we have an opportunity and responsibility to reaffirm the Department’s commitment to a positive learning environment in which everyone is treated with respect.”

He has welcomed anyone who may have concerns about these events to come forward in confidence.

1. What complete cunts. I hope they stop fucking around bullying people who are only a few decades older than themselves and start acting like fucking humans. You paid £9000 a year to be here, use it better than making some other poor sod’s life hell