York shortlisted for best university in the north

The winners of the new Educate North Awards will be announced on 3 June at a dinner in Manchester

The University of York has been shortlisted for ‘University of the Year’ as part of a new set of awards designed to celebrate the achievements of northern universities.

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

The universities of Lancaster and Newcastle have also been shortlisted for the Educate North award.

The award will be judged based on which university best demonstrates outstanding performance in business finance, teaching, research, student experience, innovation and economic impact.

Twenty awards will be given out in total, including ‘Business School of the Year’ and ‘Research Project of the Year’.

Professor Phil Harris, executive director of the Business Research Institute at the University of Chester has said ‘University of the Year’ had been a “very difficult category to judge”.

He added: “People are now starting to talk seriously about the northern powerhouse” and said that many universities in the north were beginning to challenge the higher education ‘golden triangle’ of Oxford, Cambridge and London.

In association with The Telegraph, the Educate North Awards seek to celebrate, recognise and share best practice and excellence in the education sector in the north. They will be judged by a panel of leading academics and individuals.

The winner of the title will be announced at a dinner in Manchester on 3 June, playing host to over 30 universities and further education institutes from across the north. There will also be a one-day conference prior to the award ceremony.

The conference will host 16 speakers, including Jeremy Lindley, Director of Finance at the University of York. He is set to give a speech on “how a major northern and global institution manages and intends to manage its significant financial responsibilities”.

A University of York spokesperson told Nouse: ‘It is pleasing to be nominated as University of the Year in the Educate North awards. It reflects our consistent strength regionally, nationally and internationally.”

The University, which joined the Russell Group in 2012, was awarded Times Higher Education University of the Year in 2010.