York ranked 17th in Complete University Guide league table

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, called the new league tables a ‘real mixed bag’

The University of York has dropped down to 17th from 14th place in the new Complete University Guide League Table for 2016.

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

Universities that moved above York include Bristol University and the Universities of East Anglia and Southampton.

For individual subjects, York came in the top ten for History, History of Art, Politics, Archaeology, Chemistry, English, Education, Biology and French.

History was ranked eighth, as was Chemistry. English was ranked seventh, History of Art came sixth, Politics came tenth place and Archaeology came fifth. Biology maintained its position in fourth place, Education came ninth, and French moved up thirty places from thirty-fourth position to fourth.

Other subjects in the top twenty included Music, Economics, Psychology, Medicine, Linguistics, Nursing, Computer Science, Sociology, Law, German and Philosophy.

Some subjects moved a considerable amount compared to last year. Medicine stepped up from 29th to 16th. However, Music dropped from 11th to 18th and Sociology moved down from 7th to 15th.

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, told Nouse: “A real mixed bag, some amazing results for individual departments but we all need to work hard to ensure York starts to tackle the worrying decline of the last five years.”

For the ninth year running, York was rated the best university in the Yorkshire and Humber region, coming above the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford and Hull.

The University of Cambridge was rated top overall, with Oxford coming just behind in second place, followed by London School of Economics and Imperial College London. Durham University came fifth.

However, for student satisfaction it was Coventry University that took the top position, with Buckingham University coming second. As part of the survey, the People & Planet Green League rated Plymouth as the greenest university in the UK.

George Offer, Academic Officer, said: “It’s a shame we’ve slipped to 17th, but with the new University Strategy just coming in I’m confident we’ll be back in the top 10 in just a couple of years.”

However, he also said: “York is a fantastic University as can be seen from the QS rankings.”

In the latest QS World University Rankings, York had seven subjects in the top 100, including Economics, Environment, History, Language and Linguistic Science, Psychology and Sociology.

A spokesperson from the University of York said: “There will always be year to year fluctuations in university performance and league table position depending both on local factors and events elsewhere in the sector.

“Nevertheless, York remains a strong University – subjects across the disciplines are ranked in the top ten in the Complete University Guide while seven of our academic departments place in the top 100 in the QS Subject Rankings.

“We are committed to excellence in teaching and research and the delivery of research-led teaching.

“Our new University Strategy seeks to invest in improving the academic student experience and providing additional opportunities for students to both develop their skills and enhance their employability.”