York Bar Billiards in consummate victory

York Bar Billiards made an impressive start to their season, putting the toils of last season behind them

University of York
IMAGE: Matthew Armendariz

IMAGE: Matthew Armendariz

As the end of the academic year draws ever closer, the York Bar Billiards league’s fourth season is just beginning. Having finished both of the previous two seasons in last place, the University were looking for an improvement in their opening game.

Oli Hill and University captain Joe Foxon went into battle in the first frame, with Hill opening the scoring with an very impressive break of 980. The Phoenix representatives could only muster 120 points all frame, while the University stormed away to 2,450 with further breaks of 580 and 500 for Hill and Foxon respectively.

The scores were even at 1-1 after the second frame, however, as Geraint Davies of the Phoenix banked a break of 530, only 10 points fewer than Barney Trimble and Bob Horton managed in a very tough frame. Ellen Porter dug her captain out of a 250 point hole with a fantastic 400 points on the final ball to put the University back into the lead.

Just before the interval, the Stephen Harper and Tamsin Allsopp put 1,050 points on the board to ensure that the University held a two-frame advantage going into the second half. The win was sealed after a very tense fifth frame thanks to Hill and Trimble’s consistent scoring resulting in a 970-440 victory.

Harper and late arrival Andrew Dennis also broke the 1,000-point barrier with a 1,420-0 frame, after the Phoenix knocked over the black pin on the last shot. The run of frame wins did not continue into the finale however, as Horton and Porter were beaten in a close contest to make the final score 5-2 to the University.

In other league news, the Fulford Arms beat the Golden Ball 6-1. The draw for the Team Cup was made, with the University facing the Knavesmire in a two-legged quarter-final. Other matches include the Fulford Arms against the Phoenix, York Brewery vs Waggon and Horses and Golden Ball vs Woolpack.

1. Now this is a proper sport. Bar Billiards for Roses!

2. Why is it that Nouse never publishes anything about more significant and skilled Cuesports such as Pool and Snooker? The University of York Snooker Team were British Champions this year and the Society has been one of the University’s most successful for many years…