URY wins I Love Student Radio Award

URY’s Freshers 2014 broadcasts won the award for Best Audience Initiative

University Radio York (URY) has won the I Love Student Radio Award (ILSRA) for Best Audience Initiative, beating Leeds Student Radio and Canterbury Student Radio.

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

Image: Justyn Hardcastle

URY won the award for Freshers 2014, in which the station delivered eight consecutive outside broadcasts in eight days, from all over campus. YorkNext, also made by URY, was nominated for the same award.

Harry Whittaker, who was Station Manager at the time of the Freshers’ Week broadcasts told Nouse : “I’m thrilled that Freshers’ Week picked up an ILSR Award. We all feel better about getting up at 6am for nine days straight! It was a phenomenal time, and although we nearly expired, we were thrilled to gain a record number of new members as a result. It was great to see URY receive nominations in various areas too. We feel confident as we approach the Student Radio Awards entry season.”

The winners were announced at a cabaret-style dinner on Tuesday 21 April as part of the National Student Radio Conference at the University of Exeter.

URY’s Jay Glover was nominated for Outstanding Contribution to a Student Radio Station and the station was also nominated for Best Outreach Project for Getting Cold for Charity. Other categories in the awards included Committee Member of the Year, Volunteer of the Year and Most Improved Student Station.

The awards, which help to celebrate the commitment and contributions of individuals involved in student radio, were supported by Communicorp UK and hosted by Capital South Wales presenters Matt, Polly and Geraint.

Another awards ceremony, the Student Radio Awards, which are supported by BBC Radio 1 and Global and in which URY has won things before, will take place in November.

1. 28 Apr ’15 at 6:00 pm

URY we can't have nice things

You could have just used an image of URY….

2. 2 May ’15 at 12:01 am

URY we can't have nice things

You could have used an up to date image of URY…