Festivals 2015: Live @ Leeds Preview

A rundown of the hottest acts playing Live at Leeds this May 2015

Now in it’s ninth year, Live at Leeds has developed a reputation as an indie rock haven as well as a hotbed of highly touted lesser known acts who are all threatening to break through and make 2015 their year. Last years event hosted the now unbelievably massive Royal Blood, alongside newly appointed indie royalty, Catfish and the Bottlemen, everyone’s (well someone’s) singer song writer of choice, George Ezra, and Grammy award winners, Clean Bandit. If the sun is shining, there is no place you’d rather be. A poor pun aside – without further ado, here is a rundown of the hottest acts playing Live at Leeds this May 2015.

Palma Violets

Palma Violets – Palma Violets 2013 lo-fi effort, 180, combined elements of psychedelic and garage rock, while satisfying a burgeoning fan base built up by their almost relentless touring schedule. Their new album, is scheduled for release the week after their Live at Leeds set, and provides an ample opportunity for the Lambeth band to showcase their new music.

2014 Spector Press 081214

Spector – After all that NME hype had died down from the first album, it looked like Spector were down and out ready to row on down the river Styx to the indie band graveyard. However, a new album is due this year, 3 years after their debut, and if new track All The Sad Young Men is anything to go by, Spector are back in business. Lead singer Fred Macpherson is as witty as they come, and with a bevy of modern indie classics in their arsenal the boys are sure to be firing on all cylinders come show time.

The Cribs 2015

The Cribs – Headliners ,The Cribs, have built a solid reputation as indie rock national treasures over the course of 6 albums. Always consistent the Wakefield lads revel in their chaotic live shows with a splendour of memorable, heartfelt tunes to choose from. The Cribs are bound to leave the Live at Leeds crowd with massive grins and sweat soaked shirts to boot.

Hookworms – For fans of neo-psychadelic, sonic freakouts, the rather anonymous Hookworms (All of the band members are simply know by their initials) are a cosmic live force. Julian Cope and Primal Scream’s, Bobby Gillespie are fans apparently and so will you by the end of their set.

lucyrose 2015

Lucy Rose – Former touring member of Bombay Bicycle Club, Lucy Rose has paved her own way in the music scene for a few years now. A modern day Joni Mitchell, her updated folk sound has won her a lot of admirers and will offer some comfort for those at the festival looking for a more relaxing, heartfelt vibe amongst a line-up dominated by rather intense indie rock bands.

Tobias Jesso Jr. – Canadian singer songwriter Tobias Jesso Jr. has been favourably compared to 70’s artists Randy Newman and Harry Nilson. As anyone who caught his Maida Vale session for Zane Lowe a few months ago can attest, Jesso Jr. is able to combine a wonderful emotional depth to his music with a beguiling, warm and humble stage presence. A real rising star to watch out for this 2015.