Roses 2015 Preview: Women’s Rugby

The form guide suggests Women’s Rugby could be on to a winner at this year’s Roses, despite a difficult year for the club

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

Fixtures:

Rugby 7s Firsts: Friday, 12:30, 22 Acres Rugby Pitch 1

Rugby 7s Seconds: Friday, 14:30, 22 Acres Rugby Pitch 1

Rugby Union: Saturday, 15:00, 22 Acres Rugby Pitch 1

2014 Result:

Rugby 7s Firsts: Won 7-5 (Last 4 Roses:WLLL)

Rugby 7s Seconds: Lost 15-10 (Last 4 Roses: LLL)

Rugby Union: Won 20-5 (Last 4 Roses: WWLL)

Points on Offer: 10

The Inside Track: Club Captain, Thulani Kimbugwe

How have the club performed this season?

One word sums out this season for UYWRUFC. Progress. We got promoted to a harder league, and lost our coach halfway through the year, and though we are being relegated, our game has improved so much over the season.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

The last time Lancaster were on York soil, there were a lot of ambulances – mostly for their injured players. This is a grudge match of epic proportions and Lancaster will not hold back in the hope of winning all of their matches.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out?

Centre, Mollie Staples, is a force to be reckoned with when she’s got the ball in your hands. Juliette Carter, Flanker, has some incredible speed that comes out of nowhere! When she has the ball in her hands and breaks Lancaster defence, look out for a try. Also, watch our for try saving tackles from fresher, Edith Sandström, who folds people in half.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

It’s dynamic, and exciting and unpredictable. It’s an incredible intelligent game and Lancaster are going to come for blood on the 22. There are three games, and we are looking to win all of them. If this game is not the epitome of the War of Roses, I don’t know who is, but UYWRUFC is going to prove that the Rose is White!

Nouse verdict: The University of York Women’s Rugby club have endured a tough season this year in their BUCS Northern 1A League. Finishing fifth out of six, a solitary victory condemned the club to relegation. However, with two victories out of three at last year’s Roses, it would be no surprise to see them repeat, or even better, this result.