Roses 2015 Preview: Volleyball

Nouse gets the inside track on this year’s Volleyball fixtures which, as with previous years, promises to be one of the most exciting ties of the tournament

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Fixtures:

Women’s firsts: Saturday, Sports Hall, 11:00

Men’s firsts: Saturday, Sports Hall, 13:00

2014 Result:

Men’s firsts: lost 3-1 (Last 4 Roses: LLLW)

Women’s firsts: won 3-0 (Last 4 Roses: WWWW)

Mixed: lost 3-2 (Last 4 Roses: LLLW)

Points on Offer: 12

Twitterati:

York (@UYVC1): 68 followers

Lancaster (@LancsVolleyball): 63 followers

Inside Track: Ryan Grey, Club President

How has the club done this year?
The club has done really well this year overall, the Mens 1st team finished in 2nd place narrowly missing out against league winner Leeds Uni. We should be a really good match for Lancaster this year as in previous years their Mens team have been fairly strong. However I feel we will show them that we deserve to have won the league and bring home the 4 points. The Womens 1sts have done equally as well, after their maiden season in the local Yorkshire Premier League and a strong finish in BUCS they have really gelled as a team and I feel confident they will also bring home the 4 points.
What are you expecting from Lancaster?
In previous years we have dominated the Lancastrian womens team and in my first year they won Roses match of the tournament. As for the mixed fixture this is always a close-encounter with most years going to a 5 set decider, this year we hope to edge out Lancaster in less than 5 sets! They should have a strong outfit so matches will be tight but I believe that UYVC has the potential to bring home all 12 points for York.​
Which individual players could stand out?
In terms of individual players for the mens team, the captain Luke Richardson will be leading from the front and hitting everything put in front of him showing why he won Most Improved Player last year and to make up for the near miss last year. Newcomers to the team in the form of Marco Baratelli, Alexander Martyn and Peter Fisher are excited to be playing in their first Roses and have already proven their merit this year. Keep an eye out for some solid blocks from Peter, some tactful hitting from Marco and some solid setting from Alex. For the womens team Rita Manso will be leading the charge providing a rock-solid defence at the back. Silvia Albino has impressed over the course of the season with some great attacks and also serving. Cristina Sechel is also another key player with some amazing pick ups and defensive work as well as providing attacks through the middle, keep an eye out for her!
Why should people come and watch Volleyball?
Roses for us as a club is the most exciting time of the year with Lancaster providing some stern opposition. After this seasons strong showing by our teams, this Roses more than any other will be dominated by UYVC. Expect to see some tight points with our teams giving their all. Trust us you don’t want to miss out!

Nouse Verdict

If past results are to set future precedent, the volleyball ties could be decided by the slimmest of margins. On the face of it, Lancaster have the advantage. However, improvements made by the Men’s team could see them break a run of three straight losses. If that doesn’t happen, it could help them complement a strong ladies’ team in the mixed to take that tie. Volleyball is one of the sports that could truly go either way this weekend, and it will come down to how much the men have improved this year and whether the ladies’ team can continue their recent dominance over Lancaster.