Roses 2015 Preview: Octopush

After an impressive year that included a fourth place Nationals finish, York Octopush are set for victory at this year’s Roses

Image: Peter Iveson

Image: Peter Iveson

Fixtures:

Octopush Mixed: Saturday, 15:30, York Sport Village

2014 Result:

Octopush Mixed: won

Points on Offer: N/A

The Inside Track: Club Captain, Duncan MacGregor

How have the club performed this season?

The club has had a season of rapid improvement, culminating in a brilliant 14-2 victory over the Leeds Freedivers and 4th place in the Student Nationals at Warwick.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

Lancaster are relatively new to the sport and we claimed a comfortable victory last year. However, it will still be nice to see if we can claim a larger margin of victory as a mark of our improved squad.

Which individual players do you expect to stand out?

Choosing the team for Roses was agonising because we have such a strong field of players, especially our forwards, where each player brings different strengths to the team.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

Not many people have heard of Octopush so we definitely have the novelty factor on our side. Octopush is fast, exciting and strongly reliant on teamwork. We also have a taster session in the first hour from 3:30 to 4:30 where anyone can dive in and try it out. So bring your trunks and head on down to the York Sports Village at for 3:30, hope to see you there!

Nouse Verdict: After its inaugural appearance at last year’s Roses, Octopush is becoming an increasingly popular sport here at York. Their  impressive display at the Nationals earlier in the year should provide the White Rose with the confidence to claim the victory.