Roses 2015 Preview: Men’s Cricket

The men’s cricket is always one of the highlights of the Roses weekend, and this year will be no different as the White Rose look to take all seven points on offer

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

Fixtures

Men’s 2nd, Friday, 12:30, 22 Acres
Men’s 1st, Saturday, 10:30, 22 Acres
Men’s 3rd 20/20, Saturday, 16:30, 22 Acres

2014 Results

Men’s 1st, won by four runs
Men’s 2nd, lost by fifteen runs

Points on Offer: 7

Twitterati

York (@TheUYCC): 241 followers
Lancaster (@lancsunicricket): 157 followers

Inside Track: Calum Lennox, Press and Publicity

How has the club done in pre-season?

With a strong intake of freshers our pre-season camp run before the start of term was a success and the club is looking to these boys to aid the push for promotion for the first and seconds teams this year.

What are you expecting from Lancaster this season?

We are expecting a strong Lancaster side, much the same as last year. They were a top bunch of lads off the pitch last year, especially given how close the first team game was. We know it is likely to be trial by spin and will aim to deal with it accordingly.

What individual players do you expect to stand out?

From the first team, the innovation of Weston and Lennox combined with the power hitting of fresher Rob Carr as well as Ollie Marsh gives our middle order a fearsome look. Combine this with the miserly spin of captain Ross Miller and the accuracy of Matt Cox, who bowled 7 overs for 2 runs against Newcastle last year, then we have a very strong side on paper. Keep an eye out for international superstar and second team player Adam McAuley). This really shows the strength in depth we have at the club.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

The most intense game of Roses last year was the first team game at Lancaster Cricket Club, which unfortunately was miles off campus so only a select crowd of 50 people got to view the last over win for York. People do not want to miss it this year, if it’s half the game that last year’s was then they’ll be in for a treat. As mentioned above, the big hitting of Carr and Marsh is something to behold. Don’t be surprised to see reverse sweeps and outrageous cheek on display when Weston and Lennox are at the crease either! The seconds play on the Friday, when not much else is on, so no excuses to miss that! The thirds have a T20 straight after the first team game on Saturday which will be highly entertaining!

Nouse Verdict

The cricket at last year’s Roses was one of the highlights of the tournament. It was a shame that very few people got to witness the first team’s remarkable victory in the dying moments of their match last year. This year, there will be three cricket matches and what better way to spend a sunny afternoon, than on 22 Acres watching the York bowling attack tear apart some Lancastrian batsmen? As for the result, I’m tipping York to take all seven points on offer. The first team look solid and having been bolstered by some new additions, most notably big hitting first year Rob Carr, they should have more than enough to build on last year’s Roses win. I also think the second and third teams will be spurred on by the home crowd, which should help them win their matches and add to the White Rose’s points tally.