Roses 2015 Preview: Cycling

York’s cycling club is gearing up for this year’s home Roses, with the aim of putting Lancaster in a spin

Cycling is added to the tournament calendar this year. Image: Philippa Grafton

Fixtures

Mountain Biking, Saturday, 10:30, Heslington East Campus Hills
Circuit Race, Saturday, 12:00, York Sport Cycle Track

2014 Results

Mountain Biking, York victory
Circuit Race, York victory

Points on Offer: 8

Twitterati

York (@OfficialUYCC): 310 followers

Inside Track: Ashley Marsh, Merchandise Representative

How has the club done this season?

The cycling season has only just started, but we have had a few members racing on Tuesday nights at York Sport over the last few weeks and they have been doing well. We had a trip to Wales at the beginning of the Easter holidays, where both the mountain bikers and roadies did some tough training in preparation for the season.

What are you expecting from Lancaster this season?

Well, if the last few years are anything to go by, then not that much. But to give them some credit, they have a few good riders who may test us a little bit. We wanted to organise a ladies competition too but they don’t have any women in their club. We are expecting some great races throughout the day.

Which individual racers do you expect to stand out?

We do have some guys in the club who are keen racers, but the idea of our events is that any club member can turn up, compete and do their bit for the club.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

Our events are being held at the cycle track at York Sport. Many have probably seen cycling on TV but not at this level. It’s still very exciting to watch and a great spectator sport. When races are close and it comes to a sprint finish everyone gets enthralled in the moment; cheering the riders on! Starting from 10am on Saturday, come and see what it’s all about! Bring cowbells, pots and pans or anything that can make a loud noise.

Nouse Verdict

York wiped the floor clean with Lancaster in last year’s cycling events, winning both the Mountain Biking and the Circuit Race. If past meetings are anything to go by, then you would expect the White Rose to claim all eight points on offer. The races themselves are fast and intense. In the year after the Tour de France rode through York, what better way to get your cycling fix than by going over to Heslington East and cheering on York’s cyclists as they bid to once again wipe the floor clean with Lancaster at Roses.