Roses 2015 Preview: Swimming and Water Polo

York are usually the dominant force in the pool at Roses, expect no less this year. The White Rose are tipped to take all 16 points on offer

Image: Lily Grant

Image: Lily Grant

Fixtures

Men’s Swimming, Saturday, 13:00, York Sport Village
Women’s Swimming, Saturday, 13:00, York Sport Village
Men’s Water Polo, Saturday, 19:00, York Sport Village
Women’s Water Polo, Saturday, 17:45, York Sport Village

2014 Results

Men’s Swimming: York 62-68 Lancaster
Women’s Swimming: York 68-62 Lancaster
Men’s Water Polo: York 8-7 Lancaster
Women’s Water Polo: York 9-2 Lancaster

Points on Offer: 16

Twitterati

York (@UYSWC): 271 followers
Lancaster (@LUSTSwimAndPolo): 109 followers

Inside Track: Lauren Kiy, Press and Publicity

How has the club done this season?

This year UYWSC has put in a fantastic performance. The men’s and women’s swimming teams have smashed several long standing records. Women’s water polo did well to hold their own in Division One, finishing third, after earning promotion last year. Men’s water polo finished second in their league and earned a silver medal in BUCS Cup.

What are you expecting from Lancaster this season?

Lancaster always bring fierce competition and have produced a reasonable performance in BUCS this year. However, we are aiming for nothing less than a whitewash.

What individual players do you expect to stand out?

This year Bill Timpany and Ben Greene have broken many club records and we expect great performances from them both. With regards to water polo we are expecting outstanding performances from both teams, but the players to watch out for are Beth Richards, Filippo Cocozza, Young Gawthorpe, and of course our international superstar Pierre Fromage.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

The York Sport Village is a great venue and we have a full day of entertainment lined up. The swimming starts at 13:00 and promises some fantastic individual and team performances. Water Polo has long been a headline event at Roses because the fast paced action provides a climatic end to the day. The men’s match kicks off at 17:30 with the women’s match at 19:00.

Nouse Verdict

The swimming and water polo fixtures are usually pleasant hunting grounds for York in Roses. Despite a slight hiccup in last year’s men’s swimming fixture, the York teams dominated Lancaster in the pool. I expect a similar sort of story to occur this year, especially after the fantastic seasons that both sides of the club have had, in particular, the women’s water polo side finishing third in Division One after gaining promotion last season. Water Polo is the headline fixture on Saturday night, so expect a loud, boisterous crowd who will seek to out-shout any Lancastrian in sight. I reckon that all 16 points on offer in the pool will be won by the White Rose.