Roses 2015 Preview: Badminton

After a chastening weekend last time out in Lancaster, the Badminton club will be desperate to make amends and plunder the significant haul of points available in this sport

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Fixtures

Mixed: Saturday, 09:00

Women’s 2nds: Sunday, 09:00

Men’s 2nds: Sunday, 11:00

Women’s 1sts: Sunday, 13:00

Men’s 1sts: Sunday, 15:00

All fixtures scheduled to take place in Main Hall, York Sport Centre

2014 Results

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

Mixed: Lost 4-5 (Last 4 Roses: LWWL)

Women’s 2nds: Lost 3-6 (Last 4 Roses: LW- introduced in 2013, worth points since 2014)

Men’s 2nds: Lost 3-6 (Last 4 Roses: LWWW)

Men’s 1sts: Won 5-4 (Last 4 Roses: WWWW)

Women’s 1sts: Lost 1-8 (Last 4 Roses: LWWW)

Points on Offer: 16

Twitterati

York (@uybc2014): 262 followers

Lancaster: n/a

Inside Track: Leah Langford, Club Secretary

How have the club performed this season?

Overall, we have had a solid season across all of our 8 teams. Our standout achievements this year include our men’s 1sts winning the Northern Conference cup and our mixed 1sts gaining promotion in the Yorkshire league. Our ladies 1sts also finished 2nd in their BUCS league – so we’ve had consistent performances across all disciplines.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

To beat them, of course! We will be aiming to take home all 16 points this year, as we did in the last home Roses.  Lancaster had a strong team last year, and all the matches were extremely close – injury meant we didn’t have our strongest team, but this year we’ve been training harder than before with our new coach and we’re ready for whatever Lancaster brings.

Which individual players should we look out for?

This year we have a new fresher and sports scholar on our men’s first team, Alex Ingham. With his power, speed, and agility, he is definitely one to watch. Of course, if you want to see our York Sport President compete for the last time, then badminton is the place to be – catch the ladies 2nds at 9am on Sunday; Cass Brown will want no less than to wipe the floor with those Lancastrians in her final Roses.

Why should people come and watch your sport?

It’s simple, badminton is the fastest racquet sport in the world, with shuttlecocks often travelling at over 300kph. It requires lightning-fast reactions, agility, power and speed, all on a 6x13m court. Even if you don’t know the rules, you will soon pick it up and feel the excitement of such a fast paced, versatile sport.

Nouse Verdict

The stakes are high in badminton, which is worth considerably more points than any other racquet sport. In recent years, York teams have enjoyed significant success- completing a resounding whitewash in 2013- although they will have been disappointed with their display last year, when only the men’s firsts took points from Lancaster.

The women narrowly missed out on BUCS promotion and the men put together a highly impressive cup run, winning their Conference Cup. Their fixtures could prove crucial on a potentially decisive Sunday morning when any victories will be vital. The White Rose will expect to put 2014’s disappointment behind them and rack up points in the badminton.