University vows to reduce cost of sanitary products

Izzy Lomas, President of Feminist Society, called the decision ‘encouraging’

The University has committed to working out a solution to providing cost price sanitary products.

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

YUSU started selling sanitary products at cost price in January. However, Beth Curtis, a third-year English student, successfully submitted a policy proposal to get them to continue doing so and to lobby the University to do the same.

Sam Maguire, YUSU President, told Nouse: “Our supplier is more expensive than [the one used by Jon Greenwood, the Director of Commercial Services], so we are working out if we can get out of our contract so we can both get them even cheaper.”

He added: “I am really pleased the University has stepped up and matched our commitment to selling sanitary products at cost price.

“This will hopefully make things cheaper for anyone who goes through the menstrual cycle and are already penalised because of EU Law that places tax on these products.”

Izzy Lomas, President of the University of York’s Feminist Society, said: “Sanitary products are absolutely essential but unfortunately very expensive. Making cheaper sanitary products available would be of enormous benefit to students at York, particularly at a time when so many are struggling financially.

“It is encouraging to see YUSU following in the footsteps of other student unions to address this problem.”