Roses are White

York Sport President sets the scene for the upcoming War of the Roses

It’s the 51st year of Roses and I’m sure this will be the best yet. For those who don’t know what Roses is, here are some of the facts.

Roses is our annual sporting tournament against Lancaster University. Reprised from the War of the Roses, it’s the largest inter-university tournament in Europe.

This year the tournament is being hosted in York with over 140 fixtures, showcasing over 40 sports and involving around 2,500 competitors.

Last year we narrowly lost in Lancaster and I know that this has made our teams determined to bring the Carter James trophy back to Yorkshire.

So many of our clubs have enjoyed fantastic BUCS seasons this year and York has managed to maintain it’s highest ever placing in BUCS of 38th. Lancaster sit 11 places behind us and I’m confident we will be victorious.

Roses 2015 officially kicks off on Friday night with Fight Night in Central Hall and a Roses festival around the campus lake where women’s fencing and karate will be showcased in James Hall and the Roger Kirk Centre, respectively.

This will be followed by a countdown to fireworks from Roy Hodgson, the England Football manager himself.

Although the boxing in Central Hall has sold out there are plenty of tickets available for the free Roses Festival where the boxing will be projected on to a huge screen for all to see on Vanbrugh Paradise.

Throughout the weekend there’s a whole host of fixtures which can be found on the Roses Live website and this year we’re particularly proud to be holding a disability sport exhibition in the form of sitting volleyball!

As well as inviting every York student to Roses, we’re also inviting York’s staff and the local community.

This year we want Roses to be for everyone, that’s why we’re profiling disability sport and inviting as many people as possible.

All of this will be followed by the closing ceremony on Sunday where York will hopefully lift the Carter James trophy once again!

Roses is the highlight of my year and the same goes for many of our students. It’s the one time in the year where everyone gets behind York and comes together for one common cause: to beat Lancaster in the battle of the Roses.

This year, Lancaster are trying to make history by beating York on our soil for the first time in 30 years. Only with your support can we ensure that York succeeds and that in 2015, Roses will, be white.

This year, let’s hope that the Carter James trophy returns home to York!