Roses 2015 Preview: Sailing

Sailing has been a reliable source of points for York for the past three Roses but, with the seconds fixtures now worth points, Lancaster are sure to give the YUSWC a tough time

sailing

Fixtures:

Mixed 1sts: Saturday, 11:00, Beaver Sailing Club

Mixed 2nds: Saturday, 11:00, Beaver Sailing Club

2014 Result:

Mixeds 1sts: won 3-0 (Last 4 Roses: WWWL)

Mixed 2nds: lost 3-1 (Last 4 Roses: LWW-)

Points Available: 6

Twitterati:

York (@YUSWA): 246 followers

Lancaster (@LancsSailing): 113 followers

Inside Track: Becky Thomas, Race Captain

How has the club performed this year?

The club have put in a great effort this season, our first team made it through to BUSA BUCS Playoffs this year, just missing out on a place in the BUCS final. Our seconds have also gained confidence, improving throughout the year and even beating Lancaster firsts last term!

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

We’ve consistently beaten Lancaster in past Roses events, however they’ve been training hard this year and if their sailing can match their twitter chat then we shouldn’t under-estimate them!

Which individual team members could stand out?

Our out-going captain, Tasha de la Fuente, will be keen to secure one last win against Lancaster before she graduates and Katie Dewing has shown that despite only joining the team in September, she’s definitely a team member to watch.

Why should people come and watch Sailing?

Roses is the perfect opportunity to learn more about sailing team-racing and probably some of the closest and most competitive racing of the year, however if that isn’t enough, we’ll be putting on a BBQ at the club so you can sit by the lake nibbling on hot dogs, sipping beers and sunbathing as York try and replicate last year’s wins over Lancaster.

NouseĀ Verdict

Sailing has been a historically close fixture at Roses, but with the improvement of the seconds this year and the impressive run of victories the firsts have over Lancaster, York should pick up the points here. Expect Lancaster to fight hard, and don’t be surprised if all the races go down to the wire.