Roses 2015 Preview: Futsal

The University of York Futsal Club are force to be reckoned with in both league and cup, and it will take a massive upset for Lancaster to emerge with a result in the inaugural Roses fixture in this sport

facupfutsal Fixtures

Men’s Firsts: Friday, 14:30, Tent 3

2014 Results

Not played

Points on offer: 0

Twitterati

York (@U_Y_F_C): 750 followers

Lancaster (@LancasterFutsal): 54 followers

Inside Track: Mahiko Konishi, Vice-President

How has the club done this year?

I think the club has performed brilliantly this year. For the second year in a row we are the leading club for BUCS points in the University, with the Men’s 1st team finished second in the Premier Northern, the Women’s team achieving promotion to the highest division for next year and the Men’s 2nds, completely made up of freshers, reaching third place in the Northern 1A. On top of that, both the Men’s 1sts and the Women’s teams reached the quarter-finals of the BUCS Championship so that we can definitely be considered a Futsal powerhouse in the country.

Needless to say, a huge chunk of merit for the constant success that the club enjoys in all of its teams is attributable to our coach, Junior Roberti, whose passion and knowledge of the game is really making the difference.

What are you expecting from Lancaster?

We really don’t know what to expect from Lancaster because as far as we know they have just set up a Futsal club this year, so we don’t have any information on their team or their players. Regardless we will make sure to not underestimate them and we’ll be prepared as if we were facing a top team.

Which individual players could stand out this year?

I want to give a general shoutout to all the first year players, as they’ve shown incredible promise and I’m excited to see how they’ll develop in the following years; having to choose one, I’d say that Raphael Yu came in from day one with a great attitude and managed to take an important role both in the BUCS and National League sides.

Why should people come and watch Futsal?

Futsal is one of the fastest growing sports in England and one of the most exciting sports out there, with skills and technique often taking over the physical aspect, fast-paced action, unpredictability in every moment and lots of goals. If that doesn’t convince you, you can always come just to see the University’s most successful club!

Nouse Verdict

Needless to say, it is a source of great disappointment that the Futsal Club- the most successful at the university in terms of BUCS points- will not have the chance to compete for points at this year’s Roses, and that the newly promoted women’s team cannot showcase their talent. However, its inaugural inclusion and Lancaster’s formation of a club suggests it will not be long before this is an established fixture in the Roses pantheon.

The team itself will be buoyant, recently claiming the scalp of Loughborough despite going out of the nationwide FA Cup at the end of the spring term. The tutelage of Junior Roberti, perhaps the most liked man on campus, continues to be hugely beneficial.

It will be fast and furious in the Tent on Friday in what should be one of the most entertaining of the weekend’s offerings.