Maintenance loans: the student finance debate that isn’t about tuition fees

Tuition fees. Since their introduction by the Labour Government back in 1998, they’ve constantly been on the political agenda. To increase, or to decrease, it’s not something that the politicians will ever reach an agreement on. But as we eagerly await the publication of this year’s general election manifestos, the way in which the parties choose to respond to the never ending great tuition fee debate will certainly be high up on our list of priorities when deciding who gets our vote this May. Yet the intensity of this debate, as important as it may be, appears to have detracted from the true cost that students face when coming to study at university.

Enter the underrated dark horse within the student finance debate: the maintenance loan. Consistently overshadowed by the tuition fee debates over the years, it has managed to avoid kicking up any sort of political fuss. However, the joint founder of Student Money Saver, David Ellis, believes that “tuition fees are no longer the problem”, it is instead the maintenance loan that is the culprit in creating the stereotypical image of the ‘strapped-for-cash’, student that it is all too much of a reality for many.

The posts across the University’s many unofficial Facebook pages say it all. Another notification. Another capitalised plea for you to sign up to Amazon Student or the latest graduate jobs portal. These posters are paid for each registration that takes place through their link. Their spam screams financial desperation. It appears that students are increasingly resorting to these ‘work from home’ schemes because, for one, the university timetable simply does not allow the time to commit to the irregular hours of retail employment. And more importantly, they simply don’t have enough money to see themselves through until the end of term.

It all comes down to ‘equal opportunities’. A notion that I am in complete agreement with. However, the pressure for universities to be ‘politically correct’ has allowed it to be blown way out of proportion. Whilst some students depend on their means-tested grants and bursaries to stay at university, many receiving them don’t just benefit from a little helping hand to help with living costs and study materials whilst at university, their non-repayable grants total an excessive amount, beyond what any higher earning parents would be expected to contribute towards their child’s university education. And increasingly, this excess is being frittered away on the latest designer trainers, expensive jewellery and all-inclusive holidays to Europe’s biggest clubbing hotspots, all courtesy of the British taxpayer.

It is truly shocking that two financial worlds so far apart can exist within the same university. Whilst one student thinks about planning their next beach break, another faces the constant worry about where the money for the next food shop is coming from. The £50 that a middle-income family may be over the bursary threshold by doesn’t make funding a child at university any easier, especially when there may be three or four more hungry mouths to feed back home, on what seems like a constantly tightening weekly budget. And when the Bank of Mum and Dad simply cannot afford to pay anymore, the promise of ‘equal opportunities’ for all within higher education is no longer fulfilled.

Our student finance system needs a rethink. It’s time to stop regarding those with a household income just over the current bursary threshold as ‘super rich’. No student should ever be forced into the dreaded ‘catch-22’ situation, where the degree suffers amidst their relentless attempts to fund it.

1. I think that it is important to bear in mind those who are entitled to Bursary and grants get them because they need them. For instance, I will have some of my money left over after I leave University (I’m entitled to full grant and bursary) but I don’t have the luxury of being able to move back home rent free pending a job. I do sympathise with those who miss out on the full grant and bursary and I think means testing needs to be examined further. However, these grants and bursaries should only be for those who need them. The self entitlement from those who see others who need money getting it is, in my eyes, as bed as benefit scroungers or tax evaders.

2. Thank you! I come from a middle income family so receive the minimum loan, which doesnt even cover my rent. For the past three years I have struggled to uphold an almost full time job to support my studies, while my family scrape together every penny they have to help. This now means that it is unlikely my younger sister will be able to go to university at all, as we simply have no money left. There are too many people like me at university who are ‘too rich’ to get help but are left wondering how they will afford a decent meal, never mind all the books etc that we have to buy. Why is my loan judged on my parents income when I haven’t lived at home for the last three years?
    Not rich enough to afford uni, not poor enough to receive any help!

• That’s exactly what I am like at university! Some of my friends are getting £8000 a year (loan+grants) and there is me struggling to make ends meet at university, with the minimum loan and no grants/bursaries! Why should it be that it is based on household income? Just because we live at our parents house out of term, does not mean they are under any obligation to give us any money for term time. Although I am lucky and my parents are able to help me out a bit, I am still in the minus after last term hoping that my job and the next loan payment will push me into the clear. Also my parents help me as much as they can, but then that leaves them in a trick situation as well.

These “equal opportunities” thing is rubbish to me. My flatmates drink quite a lot which must cost. I for one choose not to drink which has benefited me finacialy. But I have a flat mate that has parents that give her how much money she wants and ,I believe, pays for her accommodation out right. But she also gets a grant from the government and the university itself! I personally don’t see how his is possible. But it does happen! There needs to be a new way of saying how much each student recives for maintenance loan.

3. Do you need a loan? Are you a business man or woman and you need a loan to increase your business?? Do you need capital to start up a business? Whatever your loan problems might be, here comes your help as we offer loans to both individuals and firms at low and affordable interest rate of 2% Processed within 24 hours.and a repayment duration period of 1year to 10years to any part of the world.We give out loans within the range of 5,000 to 100,000,000 USD Just for only one fee, which is the Registration fee while the company will be paying all other fees, Any loan company asking for more than one fee is a scam and bewear of that compny. Our loans are well insured and maximum security is our priority.contact us today at([email protected]) where your needs are meet and your worries are over.
    YOUR DETAILS BELOW
    Full Name ………..
    Location …………
    country ………….
    sex ……………..
    phone ……………
    age ……………..
    Occupation………..
    Sincerely.

4. Hello, I am lisa sue, currently living in Texas city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in August 2014 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan Companies both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit. But as God would have it, I was introduced to a Man of God a private loan lender who gave me a loan of $65,000USD and today am a business owner and my kids are doing well at the moment, if you must contact any firm or company with reference to securing a loan without collateral , no credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule, please contact Mr Frank Edward. He doesn’t know that am doing this but am so happy now and i decided to let people know more about him and also i want God to bless him more.You can contact him through his email: [email protected]