LFW AW15 Highlights: Lucas Nascimento

Summer comes early with Autumn/Winter florals

Nascimento puts a tropical spin on his trademark knitwear. Image:James Hostford

V neck plunges and tinsel textures. Image:James Hostford

Olive leather adds a unique element. Image: James Hostford

The BFC's white backdrop made Nascimento's colourful designs 'pop'. Image: James Hostford

The final collection. Image:James Hostford

Lucas Nascimento put a tropical spin on his trademark knitwear this sea-
son, bringing in splashes of vibrant purples and delicate floral patterns to his
latest collection. The designer graduated from the London College of Fashion in
2008, and has since then been taking the world of fashion by storm, creating a range
of classic and luxurious designs with a futuristic slant.

The show was short but sweet, however that’s not to say that Nascimento didn’t
pack a punch in the time he had. The models were accompanied down the runway
by a deep and disjointed baseline, creating an atmosphere of empowerment, while
encompassing the otherworldliness of the collection. Sometimes the simple things
are the most effective and Nascimento’s set, or lack of it, was no exception; the white-
washed room truly allowed his designs to ‘pop’ – if Nascimento was aiming to make a
statement with this bold collection then he certainly succeeded.

The Brazilian designer is known for his ‘knitwear that doesn’t look like knitwear’,
and this collection was no different; the models sported a range of garments from
knee length skirts garnished with silver tinsel, to shimmering bronze spaghetti-strap
vests. Nascimento doesn’t just do knitwear though: his show also featured designs in
brown and olive leather, bringing another on trend fabric to the collection, along with
a warm yet modern feel. In contrast to his September 2014 show, that saw the models
smouldering down the runway in a range of burnt orange designs with crew cut neck-
lines, the sharp and elegant V neck plunge was a standout feature in this show. The
boldness of the necklines perfectly complements the graceful silhouettes created by
his unfitted trousers and jumpsuits.

Nascimento’s choice of colour palette brought more warmth to the catwalk
than his February 2014 collection. Instead of cool, frosty blues he turned up the heat
with a range of rich yet comforting hues,from warm reds to bursts of orange, most
frequently seen on his floral designs. If this incredible collection is anything to go
by, then we’ll be on the lookout for subtly shaded leather, bursts of vibrant colours,
and plunging necklines this winter.