Derwent crush Van Mildert

Derwent enjoyed an emphatic victory over Van Mildert at this year’s Varsity tournament

varsity

Derwent women’s rugby players were in fine form on Sunday afternoon as they dismantled their Durham counterparts six tries to two.

It was an impressive performance not least for the sheer size of the pitch they were asked to play on; having agreed on 7’s touch rugby, the ladies found themselves playing on a full size rugby pitch. Ultimately, their stamina and pace proved too much for Durham and they eased to a stylish win.

Durham started the match well; they pressed into the York 22 and forced York to make several sloppy handling errors. After a good break by Durham through the middle of the field, York were jolted into life and they ran in their first try after Beth Christen made a dynamic break down the left side.

Durham responded almost immediately from the restart, they brushed off the scrambled York defence and touched down for an easy try to bring the scores level.
But Durham soon found themselves in arrears again, a neat passage of play from York with a superb offload to Ella Rackstraw saw York ease ahead 10-5.

York strung together a series of probing phases, as Durham’s shaky defence was simply incapable of keeping up with York’s phenomenal pace.

Player of the match Josie Phillipps was in imperious form as she turned in two exceptional breakaway tries. Durham managed to pull one back before the break but it wasn’t enough to halt York’s dominant performance. Further tries from Jess Bromovsky and Ellie McLaughlin capped a brilliant Derwent performance.

They finished proceedings demonstrating their abilities in defence, reading the game well to ensure Durham wouldn’t mount a comeback and the final whistle blew to delighted cheers from the York contingent on the touchline.