York Sport Village found to have one of the most expensive memberships

Imperial College London and Glasgow University were among the cheapest

Research conducted by Nouse has found that York Sport Village charges the third highest student membership out of all Russell Group universities.

Image: Alex Byron

Image: Alex Byron

The York Sport Village states on its website that its “mission is to inspire everyone to embrace active lifestyles, exercise and take part in sport and to offer the widest range of first class sport, health and fitness facilities, services and programmes in the city”.

It goes on to say: “We encourage every one of all abilities to enjoy sport, with a huge range of pay-as-you-go and membership options to suit everyone.”

However, an annual student membership costs £340, a significantly higher cost than that for students at other Russell Group Universities.

Bristol University tops the list with the costly price of £380 for a year-long membership. This price includes use of their fitness suite, squash courts, sports hall, swimming pool, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, indoor jogging track and aerobics classes.

The second highest gym membership is for students attending the University of Cambridge. A ‘blue’ annual membership for the Cambridge Sports Centre costs £360.

However, they do also offer lower band membership such as their ‘red’ membership which includes discounted classes and gym access at off-peak times for £150 annually.

Imperial College London offers free membership for all students which includes gym membership and swimming, with only a one off payment of £40 for fitness orientation.

Furthermore, Glasgow University only charges their students an annual fee of £60, with this membership including access to sauna and steam rooms, fitness and strength suites, squash courts and exercise studios.

A second-year student, who wished to remain anonymous, said: “The University’s prices are unacceptable for the facilities available and the service provided.”

Cass Brown, York Sport President, told Nouse: “While there are two options available to students (one, the York Sport Centre, costing students just £20 per month), the York Sport Village is an expensive facility to use.

“We are working towards making every facility on campus as accessible as possible for students.

“I have spoken with the Head of Sport very recently to ask about the potential for a cheaper ‘swim membership’ to sit alongside the Village gym membership and I look forward to informing students as this conversation develops.”

1. Would It be possible for Nouse to look into the fact that students have to pay an additional fee of £10 everytime they want to freeze their membership over the holidays? So much for a student gym!