Student triumph over staff in campus University Challenge

The student team won by 65 points with a score of 170

The Courtyard saw some fierce competition between York’s University Challenge team and a team of staff on Wednesday evening during the annual competition based on the BBC show.

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

After two rounds of quizzing, the students came out on top with a final score of 235 – 170.

The staff team included Koen Lamberts, Vice-Chancellor, and Jane Grenville, Deputy Vice-Chancellor.

They faced competition from Barto Joly de Lotbiniere, Sam Smith, David Landon Cole and Joe McLoughlin.

The teams started off with a close score, tying at 40 points each after the first seven minutes. However, after a successful two bonus rounds on politics and nursery rhymes, the students began to relax as they eased ahead with a score of 135 at half time compared to the staff’s score of 90.

Jack Alexander, Academic Projects Assistant, said: “The students weren’t afraid to use their stock joke answer of Karl Marx for any question they didn’t know, and the staff weren’t without their moments of hilarity either.”

It seems that Wiley Old Fox, the staff team’s mascot, just wasn’t enough to overcome the students’ mighty Jeremy Quacksman.