Internal university review advises changes to the college porter system

Any changes the University decides to make would be implemented towards the start of 2016

A working group comprising of representatives of the University’s current reception team have conducted a review of the University’s front of house porter and reception systems with the intention of implementing any changes in time for the new academic year.

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

The main recommendation made to the group was to relocate the Vanbrugh College reception point to the Information Centre. It was suggested that this would improve the visual presence of the College.

Another recommendation that the report makes is for Alcuin College and Campus North to be serviced by one reception point at the rear of the Harry Fairhurst building.

The report also recommends that two college receptions remain open at night to serve the entire Heslington East campus. This would mean that Goodricke, Langwith and Constantine would all have day-time receptions, with a receptionist function available at night from two separate points.

The report considers the location of the Halifax College reception point to be “effective”.

A University spokesperson told Nouse: “This is the first review of our front-of-house services for 10 years, during which time the University has changed substantially.

“The exercise is aimed at making sure that the services we provide are aligned with the needs of the University … YUSU was involved in the preparation of the report and we shall continue to keep student representatives fully informed on any progress.”

Commenting on when the changes are likely to be implemented, the spokesperson said that after considering the options laid out in the report, the University envisaged making these changes “early in 2016″.