Fundraising totals down as bad weather rains on RAG parade

Just over £250 was raised for Action Medical Research during this year’s parade

YUSU have confirmed that £265.11 was raised during this year’s RAG parade, approximately 72 per cent less than last year.

In 2014, the RAG parade raised £955.47 for Cardiac Risk in the Young.

Image: Adam Rummer

Image: Adam Rummer

When asked about the drop in the amount of money raised compared to last year, Georgia Paton, RAG Officer, said: “Quite simply, it was raining and there was no one on the streets to collect from. You can only fundraise if there is someone to fundraise from!”

However, she added: “[I’m] so proud of everyone involved in organising and participating in the parade. The colleges all looked incredible and weathered it out against the freezing cold all for an amazing cause! [I] could not be happier!”

Teams from every college took to the streets of York on 22 February to raise money for Action Medical Research, a charity that helps to fund research to prevent diseases in children.

This year’s parade took on a safari theme with students dressed as monkeys, lions, zebras, elephants, pandas, panthers. flamingos and tigers.

Derwent College raised more money than any other college after collecting £69.43. The College also won the prize for best dressed with their tiger outfits.

Alice Beattie, Volunteering Representative for Derwent College, the leading college at the parade, told Nouse: “I thought it was a really fun event.

“Despite the early start and the rubbish weather there was a really good atmosphere. We’re absolutely delighted that we raised the most money.”

Last year, Derwent College raised the third highest amount of money with £154.64. Halifax College raised the most money after collecting £300.16.