Derwent rally to beat Hatfield

Derwent Netball came back from the brink to record a 21-15 victory over Hatfield at this year’s Varsity

Derwent
21
15
Hatfield

College Varsity 2015

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Derwent Netball made a determined comeback to defeat Hatfield 21-15 having trailed by five points at half-time. It was a tremendous response from Derwent who refused to crack under pressure. Their composed and measured performance saw them not only peg back their opponents, but do so by a convincing margin.

Derwent began the first quarter with intent and the quick forward play of Sophie Craven and Lauren Kiy saw them gain a 2-0 advantage on their opponents. The blustery conditions made short passes the preferred method of play and Hatfield began adopting this strategy to good effect. Soon they had reigned in Derwent and grasped a foothold in the game, the quarter finishing 5-3 in Hatfield’s favour.

Hatfield continued in the ascendancy during the second quarter. Derwent struggled to stem the flow of attack as their opposition scored time and time again. Despite this, Derwent were still potent  within the opposition’s D, but they found themselves restricted to their own half all too often. It was no surprise, therefore, that Hatfield had increased their lead at the half-way point as it finished 12-7.

So began the fightback as Craven and Kiy frequently combined with Charlotte Beckett and captain Jessica Aston who, in turn, provided a fluid interlink between defence and attack. A rejuvenated Derwent owed equal gratitude to their stern defence in this period, with Laura Pokorny’s inceptions often proving vital. However, Derwent’s collective team spirit saw them go into the final quarter with the score at 13-11 with the pendulum now swinging in the York college’s favour.

A dominant final quarter saw Derwent storm to victory. Having taken confidence from the previous quarter, they were clinical in their attack while Hatfield appeared to capitulate in the final stages. Derwent were quick to regain possession as they tirelessly harried the opposition into errors that were uncharacteristic of Hatfield’s early showing. Credit must be given to the York college, however, as they persistently ensured the scoreboard ticked over in what was a magnificent end to the match. Derwent came away with a well earned 21-15 victory having rescued the match from a seemingly impossible position.

After the game, Derwent captain Jessica Aston spoke to Nouse saying, “I’m really proud as we all knew Hatfield were going to be tough competition. We really upped our game in the second half.”

Derwent: Pokorny, Casterton, Caldicott, Aston (C), Beckett, Craven, Kiy. Substitutes: Little, Freane.

Player of the Match: Sophie Craven