Waterpolo firsts pull apart Newcastle

York Men’s Waterpolo firsts dismantled Newcastle seconds to go through to the semi-finals of the National Cup

York Men's firsts
20
0
Newcastle Men's seconds
IMAGE: Lauren Kiy

IMAGE: Lauren Kiy

York Men’s Water Polo romped to a comprehensive 20-0 victory against a beleaguered Newcastle second team in the second round of the BUCS Cup on Wednesday. Given their undefeated record in their BUCS league so far this season, York would have perhaps expected to come away with a win, but their performance in this match was particularly impressive.

The home side were quick to stamp their authority on the game, opening the scoring in their very first attack when Gabriel Cramer took full advantage of a Newcastle player being sent out. The continuation of strong attacking play, particularly from Gabriel Cramer and Pierre Fromage allowed York to race into a 6-0 lead by the end of the first quarter. York’s performance only improved as the second quarter progressed, with the combination of a free-scoring attack and a stingy defence – even when a man down – allowing the gap between the sides to swiftly reach double figures.

Going into the half-time break 13-0 up, and facing a crucial league game against Durham on Saturday, York could have been forgiven for taking their foot off the gas, but they did no such thing. Although Newcastle managed to slow down York’s scoring in the third and fourth quarters, they struggled to get any real attacking foothold in the game. On the rare occasions that they had a chance to shoot, they were denied goals by the impressive goalkeeping of Young Gawthorpe.

Pushing further and further forward in search of a consolation goal towards the end of the match, Newcastle left themselves vulnerable to counter attack, resulting in York extending their lead with numerous breakaways. Goals from Jonathan Edwards, Cramer and Fromage, often assisted by Filippo Cocozza’s creative play, resulted in a 20-0 scoreline at the final whistle.

This result means that York will go on to play Northumbria in the semi-finals. Captain Filippo Cocozza commented, “I am happy with the performance of the team and am feeling confident for the next round of the BUCS cup. However there is no time to rest since we are facing Durham in the BUCS league on Saturday which is going to be a really difficult game”.

York: Gawthorpe, Cocozza (c), Fromage, Cramer, Molnar, Jones, Edwards, Chambers, Castro.