London Fashion Week 2015: Day One Summary

We give the low-down on the first day of the UK’s biggest fashion event

Jamie Wei Huang/ Image: James Hostford

Manuel Facchini/ Image: Beki Elmer

Jeane-Pierre Braganza

Paul Costelloe/ Image: Beki Elmer

Ashley Isham/ Image: James Hostford

Emily Attack/ Image: Chris Owen

Central Saint Martins/ Image: Beki Elmer

Central Saint Martins: Image/ Beki Elmer

Minnan Hui/ Image: James Hostford

How do we describe our first day at London Fashion Week? Disorientating, fast-paced, but most of all, out of this world.

Jamie Wei Huang certainly kicked off the day’s proceedings with a bang. With matted ratty hair wrapped round their necks, models strutted down the catwalk to German heavy metal band Rammstein’s “Führe Mich”. The draped, cut-out leather and buckled garments represented a fresh take on the punk and gothic genre which looks set to be big this Autumn.

Amongst appearances from long established designers such as Paul Costelloe, we were pleasantly surprised by the achievements of new and upcoming designer, Manuel Facchini. His label debut attempted to incorporate two seemingly disparate concepts, sport and the gothic. The result was a stark and fresh take on monotone, with patterns reflecting skeletal figures and architectural sculptures.

Set in the beautifully ornate upper floor of Freemason’s hall, FELDER FELDER was a greatly anticipated event with queues snaking around the building. As expected, twin sisters Daniela and Annette delighted their audience with beautifully adorned collections of lace, low v-neck lines and textured two-pieces. Oversized, bold red and turquoise hooded coats completed an awe-inspiring finale.

Jean-Pierre Baganza’s catwalk in the British Fashion Council’s presentation space was as sophisticated and slick as ever. He presented beautifully layered textures and strong lines in order to create eloquent silhouettes on the catwalk.

After being in the walls of Somerset House you’d think that London Fashion Week couldn’t trump exquisite locations. This was until we stepped inside the Waldorf Hilton Hotel’s exhibition hall. Paul Costelloe’s vibrant collection, characterised by tantalising tweed outerwear and vibrant 40’s dresses were perfectly complimented by the golden antique decor of the plaza.

Ashley Isham’s dramatic veiled headpieces were certainly amongst the most unique designs to grace the catwalks today. Chris Owen interviewed Inbetweener’s star Emily Atack on her opinion of the Ashley Isham show. She commented: “The models were literally the most beautiful models I’ve seen.”

We couldn’t have asked for a better finale to an incredible array of shows than the endless talent that poured onto the Central Saint Martin’s catwalk at the BFC’s Courtyard Space. The evening show constituted a medley of men and womenswear, from wearable artwork to not so wearable women’s paper heels. One of the models stumbled in the slightly ambitiously designed footwear whilst men’s footwear was dominated by solid platforms and block heels.

So what have we learnt from the first day of Fashion Week? That London has well and truly re-affirmed it’s claim as a capital city of fashion. Oh and that sometimes boys are better at wearing heels than girls.