Inquests opened into the deaths of two York students

A University spokesman said that staff were ‘greatly saddened’ by the students’ deaths

Inquests were opened today into the deaths of two Vanbrugh students who died within days of each other.

Image: North Yorkshire Police

Image: North Yorkshire Police

Alexander Hurry, a first-year Sociology student, was found dead in student accommodation on Sunday. Police were called at 7pm.

Dr Barry Thomas, Principal of Vanbrugh College, told The Press: “Alex’s friends and colleagues … were much saddened by his death. He was in his first year at university with much to offer the community and we very much regret that his potential was cut short in such a tragic way.”

Saher Ahmad, a third-year Archaeology student, was found at an off-campus property on Friday. She was described as a “lively and positive force” and a “thoughtful and conscientious student” by Dr John Schofield, the Head of the Archaeology Department.

A spokesman from the University of York told The Press that staff were “greatly saddened” by the students’ deaths, and that their thoughts were with their family and friends.

Most students will use their friends and family networks when managing difficult situations like this, but if students are particularly affected they can contact their College Team, the Open Door Team or national organisations referred on the university website.

The Samaritans can also be contacted on 08457 90 90 90 and [email protected]