Live Review: Freakin presents Daniel Avery @ Mansion

Freakin keep delivering the goods as Daniel Avery makes a momentous return to York. reviews

daniel avery Notorious for its Wednesday night socials of old, Mansion is well known on the night life scene, and on Saturday night there was a serious party going on. Oblivious to its surroundings of quaint York, Mansion is a hotbed of anarchic, anti-establishment behaviour. For their event on Saturday night, Freakin invited one of their favourite DJs-slash-producers back for a night of class and carnage. On Saturday 7th Daniel Avery descended upon Mansion basement along with what seemed like the majority of York’s house-music loving population.

The basement of the club, with its various coves and corners, was open for the evening’s entertainment. I was there from the very start, meaning I could experience the electric atmosphere build, and soon the force of the heat and the sound of dark, rhythmic techno in the densely packed main room signalled the start of something truly special.

Photo Credit: Phantasy

Photo Credit: Phantasy

Daniel Avery, who dropped one of 2013’s great albums, Drone Logic, took to the decks amid rapturous ovation and applause from those who preceded his entrance. Avery notoriously holds an crucial spot in the underground dance world and since Dan’s debut dropped last year his profile has gone interstellar. His last turn at Freakin caused mayhem on the dance-floor, and this repeat visit was no exception. I’ve always been slightly undecided about whether I’m a passionate lover of disco, house and techno music or not, but there was something captivating about his set which lasted till 4:25am (much to the crowd’s enthusiasm, as we all thought it was finishing at 3).

The night saw groovy synth riffs placed over Avery’s signature pulsating beat lines. Before his arrival he had tweeted that Mansion was “one of the best small clubs in the country” – his personal excitement was reflected in the music, and the crowd were just as hyped.  Avery went above and beyond and delivered  an atmospheric techno set of dark, gruelling, rhythmical, motoring energy. It all flowed effortlessly through thumping acid basslines, which all too soon took the event through to closing time.

As there were no set-piece vocals, when voices emerged during the set they were invariably dark, disembodied and wickedly distorted. The result for me was wholly compelling, and allowed for a glorious transcendence that saw the packed-out venue become totally absorbed in the addictive beats.

Mansion provided the perfect hideaway host for the ransacked chaos of the occasion. The atmosphere in the crowd on Saturday was something special, and will hopefully set a precedent to bring more equally respected acts to the city. I was just very glad I’d worn the right outfit for optimum dancing in Mansion.

1. 9 Feb ’15 at 6:10 pm

Izzy Straker

Honey, I don’t know what you were on (or if you were even there), but the music was absolutely atrocious, particularly once Avery came on. Your comment on ‘anarchic’ and ‘anti-establishment behaviour’ amounts to people being so obviously mashed on 2CB, MD, MCAT, MXP and cocaine without really anybody caring. Not to mention, that Mansion’s ceiling was dripping and people were farting in waves.

The ‘carnage’ involved people chewing on their bottom lip and your ‘groovy synth riffs’ were non-existent in an atmosphere of militant, jaw clenching and repetitive DULL techno. It was all very sinister, when usually this night is full of love and excitement for the music rather than what drug you are on.

I’m an avid fan of the Freakin nights, and I saw Avery there play 2 years ago… It was nothing like this. People were not put in a DANKY (half-built) basement room in order to get as intoxicated as possible in the space of 4 hours. I was thoroughly disappointed and this was possibly the worst ‘electronic/alternative’ night I’ve been to yet. Very sad that Freakin have ruined their success streak; they usually provide quality music and vibes once a month for all of us to dance to but this (regretfully) was not the case this Saturday.

I hope Krysko won’t end up the same way, and I believe I am voicing the opinion of the majority of people who attended the night.

• 9 Feb ’15 at 6:30 pm

Rupert Pupkin

Well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

• 9 Feb ’15 at 6:50 pm

Solitary farter...

To be honest Izzy, if those things are what it takes for me to comfortably fart in front of a large amount of people, then I’ll snort whatever you put in front of me…just saying. Liberating.

• 9 Feb ’15 at 6:58 pm

Thomas Healy

I made a pretty penny out of all the farting.

• chill, I had good fun and I’m sure alot of other people did, yeah everyone was fucked but I was mostly sober and still had a good boogie, you can’t expect every night at the same place to reach the same levels of euphoria that you may have experienced before

• 9 Feb ’15 at 7:24 pm

This is my third comment...

Allow. The comments section is the back of the bus, it’s reserved for displays of lad culture and general confusion, don’t get all up in here with your opinion. Please take yourself to the seat reserved for old people and write a letter.

• 9 Feb ’15 at 8:25 pm

back of the bus lad

The comments section IS actually for opinions, and for calling out perhaps what you believe was wrongly reviewed. It’s also set for controversy and banter, if you don’t like it then don’t look at it and stop using lame metaphors.

2. Hey Izzy,
    I’ve still got some MXP left over if you want it, sounds like you need to chill
    xoxo

• Gawd Nouse stop removing my comments – i’ll rephrase instead:

MXP isn’t even REAL ket, go hard or go home. (wink)

• Stop checking to see if your comment has likes then you wasteman.
        #outofsightoutofmind #nouse #bantz #ladculture #jesuisTomAC #notreallyhesgoneforgood

3. 9 Feb ’15 at 6:55 pm

NOT Izzy Straker

4. Did Avery play all night?

5. fully transcendental

6. What is a Daniel Avery?

7. 11 Feb ’15 at 3:22 am

Say naahh to mxp

I just wanna say, no-one take MXP. Like it’s dope the first time when shi’s all new and sparkly but the second will transform everything into a nightmare hellworld. Don’t do it kids. You’ve been warned.
    Peace & Love