James thrash Langwith in high-scoring final

Anty Cole scored a hat-trick as James confirmed themselves as York firsts for Varsity

James
9
2
Langwith

Varsity 2015

Today’s women’s 5-a-side football final saw James take on Langwith. Both teams knew that there was not too much pressure on them, having qualified yesterday. But predictably, James won the game 9-2 is a convincing fashion.

Within the first minute of the first half Alicia Miller netted for Langwith. Langwith set out with a clear game plan of getting an early goal and that was exactly what they did. Miller used her pace down the right flank to by-pass two James defenders and finished calmly in front of goal. Langwith looked to keep the pressure on James as they sought to attack in numbers.

James looked to reply instantly with being on the back foot not something they were used to. Hay came close to equalising as she found herself in space but dragged her shot just wide of the goal. James began to play as if they felt the pressure, while Langwith continued to be calm when in possession.

As the first half progressed, James equalised due to bad Langwith defending. Rosie Hay netted her first of the game as she profited from a Langwith defender’s miss-touch. Only minutes later James surged on and took the lead, as Hay slotted low and hard passed Callister. James took the lead to 2-1 in this quick turnaround of events.

Langwith attempted to overturn this deficit through Alicia Miller who tirelessly attacked down the right wing but had no options available to her as she crossed the ball in front of goal.

James continue to pressure Langwith as they now attacked through Rosie Hay who found herself in space and unmarked. Hay finished tidily as she scored a hat trick and extends James’ victory to 4-1. This time Anty Cole’s movement down the left wing was superb as she held up ball and played a clever chip pass to Hay. Hay, who had time and space, hit a powerful low shot to the bottom right corner of the goal – taking her total to three goals this game.

Langwith now under significant pressure could not afford to concede again. The Yellows knew they would have to pull one back before half time if they were to have a realistic chance of winning the game. Langwith counter attacked swiftly and this paid off as Ellie Yates pulled one back for her side. Half time fell upon us as the score line stood James 4-2 Langwith.

After a quick interval the game resumed with both teams looking to fight for a win. However, Langwith began to tire and could not deal with the physicality of James’ attack. Not long after the restart, Sophie Jermy’s long-range powerful hit extended James’ lead even further. Only minutes later did Jermy double her score tally as she cleverly evaded the Langwith defence and slotted home from close range. It looked as if James were not ready to rest on their laurels as they pushed on for more goals.

James’ Anty Cole continued her high scoring form from the semi finals, as she scored a hat-trick. As the closing stages of the game approached, Lauren Larkin also got on the score as she helped her in team to a 9-2 victory.

James: Sophie Jermy, Rosie Hay, Lauren Larkin, Ellie Marsh, Ellie Whittaker, Anty Cole.

Langwith: Ruby Callister, Molly Hawthorne, Alicia Miller, Laura Robertson, Ellie Yates.

Player of the Match: Anty Cole