James destroy Alcuin to reach Durham

James lived up to their favourites tag, thrashing Alcuin 10-1 in the Tent to qualify for Varsity

James
10
1
Alcuin

10945014 10153020231074583 5303415882833953154 n Having seen Langwith women’s football side already qualify for varsity only moments earlier, the pressure mounted on James’ and Alcuin’s teams. James were favourites to win this five-a-side fixture against an under-dog Alcuin side who were willing to dig in and give it their all.

The game started in a pacey fashion as both Alcuin and James looked to get an early goal. It was in fact the favourites, James, who took the lead at the start of the first half. James played through the back and moved forward as a team with Anty Cole’s powerful shot toward the bottom right corner of the goal gifting James the lead.

With halves only 20 minutes long, there was no time for either side to sit back. James continued to attack in quick succession leading them to double their lead in a matter of minutes. This early set back led to England coming on for Alcuin. England made an influential impact as her intelligent and sharp movement in the wide areas enabled her to cross the ball into dangerous positions.

As the first half progressed, Megan Anderton brought Alcuin back into the game as she latched onto the end of England’s through ball and slotted past the James keeper. Anderton brought the score to 2-1 and restored hope to the Alcuin team.

However, James looked to reply instantly with a flurry of goals. Most notably, Cole and Jermy were decisive in their finishing and became the most dominant players on the court. James brought the score to 7-1 in the space of ten minutes and ultimately killed the game off.

The second half started in a similar manner to the first, with both teams really going for the win. However, Alcuin left themselves exposed in defence and the combination of physical prowess and technical ability from a James side, boasting several UYWAFC players, led to the score line to grow further. The game end James 10-1 Alcuin.

James won convincingly and will definitely be a threat to Durham.

Alcuin: England, Anderton, Schule, Roach, Rigby, Lythgow, Dobson, Craig, Palmers.

James: Jermy, Bow, Hay, Larkin, West, Cole.

Player of the Match: Anty Cole