Five-star Derwent victorious in Qualifiers final

Derwent travel to Varsity as York Firsts after a 5-0 victory over Vanbrugh, who go forward as York Seconds

Derwent Firsts
5
0
Vanbrugh Firsts

Image: Fiona Hill

Image: Fiona Hill

Image: Fiona Hill

Image: Fiona Hill

Derwent College continued their impressive form across College Varsity qualifiers weekend, as their first team defeated Vanbrugh 5-0 in the Men’s Football final. A brace from the exceptional Jamie Trant and further strikes from Mirhire Overo-Tarimo, Euan Bell and captain Ryan Gwinnett- who scored from the spot- handed the Men in Blue victory over a depleted Vanbrugh, who collapsed in a second-half in which Derwent scored four times.

Vanbrugh fielded a weakened team in the final. They had already qualified for Varsity after beating James 3-1 in the semi-final and first-team regulars were either on reading weeks or didn’t want to play two games in as many days, which meant that their side equated to a Third XI. From the outset, it was clearly Derwent’s game for the taking and they wasted no time in getting at Vanbrugh’s back four. Rob Nicholson had an effort saved from 15 yards by Brandon Lynn, while Andrew Naylor’s fizzing drive sailed past the left-hand post.

Derwent did, however, rely on the award of a penalty to breach Vanbrugh defences for the first time. Overo-Tarimo seemed to push Freddie Jackson to the ground but this went unpunished by the referee and Gwinnett toppled over Jackson’s outstretched leg. There was clear contact and firm grounds for a penalty, although Tarimo’s push could easily have warranted a whistle. Skipper Gwinnett dusted himself off and converted the penalty, a strong side-foot into the bottom right corner leaving Lynn with no chance.

Last term’s Revolution Premier Division champions monopolised the chances and enjoyed long spells in Vanbrugh territory. Jamie Trant received an early through ball in the box and back-heeled it to Nicholson, who tested Lynn. Gwinnett looked to add to his tally, expertly controlling a miscued clearance and firing a well-struck volley into the keeper’s palms. Vanbrugh came closest, however, when Leo Brack’s angled shot from wide on the right was spilled by Johnstone in the Derwent goal and Callum Long was only narrowly unable to pounce on the rebound.

In the first-half, Vanbrugh competed gamely. Elliot Glanvill has top flight experience and fought well from the right-back position. Ant Long defended whole-heartedly and Andy Miller up front showed signs that he knew how to make the ball stick. Cruelly thought, they were ruthlessly exposed by Derwent after the break.

Euan Bell, ever the opportunist, seized upon an under hit free-kick and lolloped a miscued cross towards goal, which somehow contrived to drop into the far corner of the net to general astonishment. Much more deliberate was Overo-Tarimo’s goal, Derwent’s third, as the UYAFC Firsts midfielder latched on to Trant’s pinpoint through ball and finished confidently into the far corner from the penalty spot.

More outstanding work from Trant saw him beat two or three defenders single-handed and set up Jack Low, who completed the elementary task of making it 4-0. It was five after Gwinnett’s deflected effort ballooned up into the air and Trant seized the initiative, cushioning the ball and firing it in off the near post. One player who couldn’t show the same composure was Mark Askham. The left-back did well to anticipate the goalkeeper’s fumble, although by some indescribable, inexcusable force of nature was unable to apply the simplest of finishes from what was less than two yards out. It truly did look easier to score than to miss, but this was not matched by sympathy from his team-mates, who had a good laugh at his expense.

Overall, job done for a Derwent side who are now unbeaten in eighteen games in all competitions. They never looked like slipping up here and this is a testament to their application. The Men in Blue will represent York with aplomb up in Durham in three weeks’ time. Captain Ryan Gwinnett commented: “It would have been easy for us to be lackadaisical about today’s game, but I thought we dealt with it really well on what was a difficult surface. We moved the ball quickly and our defence didn’t give them a sniff. From here, we look forward to testing ourselves against the best that Durham can throw at us.”

Vanbrugh booked their ticket to the North-East yesterday and their skipper Joe Lund had no complaints about the defeat: “Obviously it hurts to lose 5-0, but given the circumstances I thought we played OK. The team we put out was a third string and they put in a lot of effort. Derwent are a good team, everyone knows that. We’re not too disappointed.”

Derwent (4-2-3-1): Johnstone; Castiglione, Whittall, Bell, Askham; Ingham, Ntephe; Trant, Naylor, Gwinnett; Nicholson

Substitutes: Overo-Tarimo, Low

Vanbrugh (4-2-3-1): Lynn; Glanvill, Waldock, Long, West; Jackson, Hooper; Lund, Long, Brack; Miller

Man of the Match: Jamie Trant