Derwent sail to victory against Halifax

Derwent overcame a strong Halifax side to earn their place at this year’s Varsity

Derwent
27
15
Halifax

College Varsity Logo

Derwent strolled to a convincing 27-15 victory over Halifax, to set up an intriguing final on Sunday against the day’s other victors, James. From the offset, Derwent were relentless in their scoring as Halifax struggled to recover from a rather one sided first quarter.

The first goal of the game came courtesy of Derwent’s wing attack, Maddy Cruz as her team sought an early advantage. Derwent had begun at a devastating pace but Halifax responded well early on as they attempted to stem the flow of attack. Certainly, Halifax goal keeper Annabelle Kime was recovering the ball well but soon Derwent were clearly on top. Derwent’s centre, Charlotte Beckett was dictating play opting to keep passes short in order to retain possession. Halifax’s Isy Currey grabbed a second goal for her team just before the end of the quarter which finished 8-2 in favour of Derwent.

Halifax had clearly taken heart from the strong end to the first quarter as they were the first to score in the second through Emily Woodings. It was plain to see that Halifax had regained somewhat of a foothold in the match as sidelined captain Lottie Hyett encouraged her team to continue such good work. However, Derwent were not to be panicked and soon Lauren Kiy was ensuring that the scoreboard continued to tick over. At the half-way point Derwent led 14-7.

Kiy instigated the scoring in the third quarter yet Halifax’s equally impressive Currey ensured that Derwent were not completely out of sight yet. Derwent then began to pick up the tempo as they adopted a more direct approach. Their accuracy of pass was impeccable as they chose not to overcomplicate matters in the opposition’s half of the court. Halifax continued to give a good account of themselves, however, with Woodings reminding Derwent that it would not be plain sailing. Despite this, Derwent were firmly in the ascendancy as they ended the quarter with the score now 21-11.

The final quarter followed much the same pattern as the previous one, with Derwent looking unfazed and controlling the game to good effect. However, they remained as potent as ever as they further increased their lead. Halifax remained resilient but they were now being outplayed by their opponents. In truth, Derwent were never in doubt with the game concluding with the score 27-15 to set up what promises to be a thrilling final against James.

After the game Derwent’s captain Jessica Aston spoke to Nouse in regards to their qualification to Varsity saying, “We’re really looking forward to it, it is the first time we have been as a club so its nice to take the team there. I thought we played really well today”

Derwent’s goal keeper, Sally Caldicott added that, “We have had a lot of players from the second team come up so that was really good. Everyone gelled and played really well. It was a tough match and a very fast game.”

Meanwhile Halifax’s captain Lottie Hyett said, “I’m a bit disappointed with the overall score, but I am really pleased with how everyone played. I thought everyone gave one hundred per cent and its one of the best games we have played all season so there are a lot of positives to take away from the game today.”

Halifax: Kime, Morisn, Martin, Evans, Figgis, Currey, Woodings. Substitutes: Thomas, Whiteoak

Derwent: Caldicott, Pokorny, Kent, Beckett, Cruz, Ashton, Kiy. Substitutes: East, Philps, Aston

Player of the Match: Lauren Kiy