York Live Music Calendar: February

Nouse’s comprehensive list of the must-see events this February

If you’re bored of throwing up on your trainers in the smoking-area of Salvo’s on a Wednesday or tired of forking out for over-priced cocktails in Revs on a Sunday, here’s what else is on offer in the coming month.

Saturday 7th: Daniel Avery @ Mansion

daniel avery

Daniel Avery occupies an important spot amongst underground dance producers, aspiring to the anthem-wielding, big-room sounds of 90s Chemical Brothers.

There will be plenty of groovy synth riffs layered over Avery’s simple rhythmic patterns. He recently tweeted that Mansion is “one of the best small clubs in the country”, so he’s clearly excited, and will hopefully set a precedent, bringing more equally high profile acts to York in future.

Make sure to wear some appropriate trainers for optimum shape-cutting.

Tuesday 10th: King Charles @ The Duchess

King Charles

The eccentric Englishman is bringing his genre bending glam-folk-rock sound to York’s Duchess next week. The night is set to offer a first look at new material from his, as-yet, untitled sophomore album, as well as more memorable tracks from 2012’s LOVEBLOOD. With the likes of Tom Waits and Jeff Beck as big fans, you’d be a fool to miss out.

Oh and he has a haircut that would have made Amy Winehouse’s seem decidedly dull.

Friday 13th: Livestock feat. Donkey Zoo @ Fibbers

donkey zoo Donkey Zoo is an award winning student jazz collective, whose live dance music ethos draws many influences from the likes of Rudimental and Disclosure. Their primary intention is to play jazz music that everybody can listen to and enjoy. Donkey Zoo have shown before how they can pack out a club at last year’s LIVESTOCK at the Duchess. With their unique jazzy dance vibe, they promise a groovy night of jazz, hip-hop, funk, RnB and more… Including with out a doubt some of Ben Turner’s steamy sax solos. The opportunity to witness Jack McNeill’s live electronic act is certainly not to be turned down. With such a range of talent on show, the LIVESTOCK club night is shaping up to be a night to remember. Rob Wynne-Griffiths

Saturday 21st: Luxo Jr and Frontier Ruckus @ The Basement

10381985 1506345749584082 7016584727275890410 n One of the most undisputedly talented and distinctive bands to come out of the University of York in recent years, Luxo Jr will be bringing their own brand of folkish electro-quirk to The Basement in a support slot for the increasingly popular Michigan country outfit Frontier Ruckus. No doubt there’ll be a bigger crowd there for Laurence, Nick, Tom and Mike of Luxo, who have amassed a significant fan base both on and off campus since dropping their sublime tracks ‘Nightclubbing’ and ‘Another Working Day’ over the course of the last few months.

Sunday 22nd: John Cooper-Clarke @ Fibbers

Screen Shot 2015 02 01 at 23.35.14

Part freak. Part poet. Part singer. Part comic. The elusive cult icon, who took poetry to rock audiences during the 70s and 80s, brings his observational genius and unmistakeable style to Fibbers towards the end of this month.

Expect the unexpected from the bitterly accurate king of alternative comedy.

Friday 27th: Animaux 2nd Birthday Extravaganza @ Mansion

animaux

Animaux has gained a large devoted following, proving itself to be one of the most popular regular club nights in York, and at the end of this month they turn 2 years old. What better way to celebrate this milestone than getting sweaty and dancing like no-one’s watching.

Jax, a resident at Freakin and co-owner at York’s Earworm Records  is sure to bring some gargantuan beat infused music. Endeser, a Lithuanian DJ currently living in York is known for his high-energy and bass driven sets, perfect for optimum shuffling. The rest of the line-up will also whet the appetite of all techno lovers, and if the past 23 months are anything to go by, a great night will be had by all.

And even better, with recent news that Mansion is bidding to extend its opening hours to 5am, raucous revellers can expect even more for their money.