Seconds snowed under

UYAFC Seconds’ clash with Durham abandoned at half-time due to heavy snow

Durham Men's Seconds
P
P
University of York Men's Seconds
unnamed

Image: Oli Bull

After a long and eventful journey to Durham, York 2nd XI battled hard and dominated the majority of play before the referee deemed the pitch unplayable at half-time with the score level and goalless at 0-0.

The Black and Gold lined up with a 4-2-3-1 with the holding pair in to counter Durham’s strong midfield presence. With news of both the 1st and 3rd teams winning earlier on in the day, spirits and optimism were both high ahead of the evening kick-off. The game started well with both teams starting fast and playing lovely flowing football, Durham perhaps started more effectively keeping the ball well but with next-to-nothing in the way of an end product. The first chance of any note came on the 15 minute mark when the Durham ‘keeper and captain passed the ball in to the path of Garn who curled an effort towards goal but Durham ‘keeper recovered well and was able to tip the effort around the post for the first corner of the game. The resulting corner required another good save when a wind and snow assisted corner from Gwinnett found itself on target.

Mark Askham’s 2nd team continued to pressure the Durham back four and a number of mistakes followed giving Naylor the chance of the game, he was able to beat the ‘keeper but a strong recovery run from the Durham center half could not be beaten and the effort was cleared off the line. York certainly unlucky to have not gone at least one up within the first 25 minutes taking full advantage of momentary laps in Durham’s concentration. During the same period, Durham were unable to offer much in front on goals only taking speculative shots that were no trouble for in-form ‘keeper Cooper.

The half was dominated by a midfield battle, Coathup and Ingham matching their Durham counterparts in every tackle whilst the wingers and full backs linked up nicely in an attempt to give York the lead they deserved. Durham nearly took the lead on the brink of half-time against the run of play when a good ball into the York box was taken down but the resulting shot could only brush the outside of the post of which Cooper comfortably had covered. 0-0 at half-time and with the snow in full swing now the referee was forced the review the safety of the playing surface. Unfortunately, with no signs of slowing, the snow was too thick and heavy making the surface dangerous for all involved. The game was abandoned and will be replayed in York at a later date.

York team: Cooper, Askham (C), Bell, Shelbourn, McCormack, Ingham, Coathup, Naylor, Garn, Gwinett, Cherry

Subs: Tester, Dunning, Nicholson