College Football Team of the Week

In a brand new feature, the Nouse Sport team – after a weekend spent stalking the touchlines – pick the eleven top performers from the third round of Revolution Premier Division fixtures

Screenshot (3) GOALKEEPER: Alex Woolley – Goodricke

goodricke logoIt was ultimately Woolley’s efforts that prevented their rivals from surmounting an even more humbling scoreline. His acrobatic save to deny Gohil-Patel’s seemingly goal-bound curling effort epitomised the Goodricke keeper’s class in between the sticks.

RIGHT BACK: Alex Chaimo – Langwith 

The  defender not only played a pivotal role in Langwith’s back four but also demonstrated his impressive ability in front of goal by scoring his team’s third goal. Following a corner, Chaimo was on hand to squeeze his shot through a crowded penalty area and into the back of the net.

CENTRE BACK: Kyle Pickar – Alcuin

Pickar was key to his side’s impressive defensive performance against a formidable Derwent attack. Although not the most technical of defenders, Pickar showed great awareness and was dominant in the air as he kept UYAFC firsts striker Josh Bew relatively quiet. He was unlucky that his efforts counted for nothing.

CENTRE BACK: Euan Bell – Derwentderwent logo Firsts and Seconds

Bell played for Derwent firsts as they were short of players and left his mark on the game as a substitute, scoring a luscious volley to secure a win in a close encounter with Alcuin. Bell then went on to play for Derwent seconds, using his physicality to deal with the pace of Vanbrugh striker Adam Lewis – helping them maintain a clean sheet.

LEFT BACK: Matt Birtles – Halifaxhalifax logo

A rare oasis of stability in the turmoil of strife that was Halifax’s back four, Birtles defended doggedly and, positionally, was highly disciplined. One double block from James Edwards springs to mind. He succeeded where so many have failed in keeping Jopson out of the game for long spells.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Frank Simpson – Derwent Secondsderwent logo

Simpson worked tirelessly for the Derwent seconds on Sunday, both in defence and attack. He pressured Vanbrugh high-up the field and attacked well as he brought his team mates into the game. Simpson has adapted well to the top division and his work rate was exceptional.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Henry Collins – Halifaxhalifax logo

Collins’ direct forward running from deeper midfield positions, beyond the lone front man, was an invaluable outlet as Halifax looked to deal on the counter-attack. Facilitated by their numerical advantage over James in the middle of the park, his licence to roam allowed the ball to be quickly transferred out wide to Garo Heath, who had the beating of his full-back.

CENTRE MIDFIELD: Miguel Vidal – Langwith langwith logo

The midfield man acquitted himself supremely in the middle of the park, with his skill and guile in both attack and defence apparent from the start. Vidal proved too hot to handle and, on one particular foray forward, earned his side a penalty which was duly converted.

RIGHT WING: Dyaus Gohil-Patel – Langwith langwith logo

A constant threat from the offset, Gohil-Patel proved to be Langwith’s most deadly outlet and it was once again no surprise to see him on the scoreboard. Combining sharpness of thought and trickery, he was all too much for Goodricke as Langwith sailed to victory.

STRIKER: Matt Singleton- James

Two hat-tricks in as many games mean that Singleton is the form individual in the top flight at this moment in time. He has a real nose for a goalscoring opportunity and his rocketing confidence means he is scoring all different types of goals and attempting speculative shots, to good effect.

LEFT WING: Rob Nicholson – Derwent Secondsderwent logo

The stand out player in the Derwent seconds vs Vanbrugh game, fresher Nicholson opened the scoring attritional game. He continually looked dangerous at the heart of his team’s attacks and is certain to be at the heart of his team’s survival bid.

Disagree with one of our choices? Disagree with all of them? Either way, join in the debate using #TeamoftheWeek, on our Nouse Sport Twitter page. 

1. Where is this weeks?

• The langwith game not up this week? Played well against Halifax

• 22 Feb ’15 at 4:41 pm

Rob Middleton

Unfortunately, we couldn’t get enough reporters out to make a Team of the Week feasible. As for missing the Langwith game, we try to make as many as we can but if we do miss one it is for a good reason. You can read the report on Langwith this week though, as they played well again