Langwith dominate derby

Langwith beat their Heslington East counterparts Goodricke during a blustery encounter on the 3G

Langwith firsts
4
0
Goodricke firsts

Revolution Premier League

Image: James Hostford

Image: James Hostford

Langwith bounced back from last weeks narrow defeat to Derwent seconds as they eased to a 4-0 victory over their Heslington East rivals Goodricke. With both sides enduring difficult playing conditions, it was Langwith who adapted the better as they dominated in the first period. Luckless Goodricke were reduced to ten man following an injury to midfielder James Lewis as they look destined for a relegation scrap come the end of this term.

It was Goodricke, however, who began the brighter as they enjoyed the early share of possession. They immediately found a confident passing rhythm and for a time, Langwith were forced backward as they attempted to absorb the early pressure. Billy Bruce had the first shot in ernest as he fired a thunderous drive over the crossbar following a dart in from the right flank. Langwith were finding it difficult to assert their authority in the opening stages while Dyaus Gohil-Patel wasted a free-kick.

Soon, Langwith regained their seamless cohesion in attack with Ope Teffy spearheading their forward play. Nevertheless, Gohil-Patel was quickly becoming the main architect and it was no surprise when he was played through by the equally impressive Jack Parsonson, before Gohil-Patel slid the ball under the advancing Alex Woolley to open the scoring.

Gohil-Patel could have added another soon after following Langwith captain, Tom Benney’s majestic diagonal through ball which was controlled superbly by Gohil-Patel. Cutting in, Gohil Patel struck a wonderful curling drive which produced a magnificent save from Woolley who tipped it around the post.

It was a period in which Goodricke seemed to lack any composure, in both defensive and attacking areas. They were persistently on the back foot and were lucky to not go further behind following Matt Morton’s volley which fell gratefully into the palms of Woolley. If truth be told, Goodricke were all too often guilty of rushing the ball and Matt Tandy was cutting a lonesome figure up front as he desperately sought support.

With the ball being relinquished in attacking areas, it allowed Langwith to further maraud forward and just before the break, such pressure paid off. Miguel Vidal was felled in the area by Goodricke defender Joe Duffin signalling a penalty which Parsonson nonchalantly slotted into the corner of the net. Goodricke could have found themselves in an even worse position come the break, had Gohil-Patel’s first time effort not been ruled out for offside. It became irrelevant soon after, as Alex Chaimo struck home following a corner to ensure Langwith went into half-time in the ascendancy.

The second period brought a tactical change by Goodricke, with James Lewis dropping deeper into a more defensive midfield position to help protect the overwrought back four. This didn’t last long, however, as Lewis suffered an injury that ended his game and saw his side reduced to ten men, such was their lack of substitutes.

Despite such a devastating start to the half, Goodricke provided a good account of themselves and worked tireless to make up for their numerical disadvantage. In fact, they nearly grabbed a goal of their own thanks to the vision of Bruce who’s through ball found Tandy bearing down on goal. However, Langwith goalkeeper Steve Le Cornu had spotted the danger and was out quick enough to block the shot.

Langwith were comfortable, brimming with confidence from such a fruitful first half. While perhaps being somewhat complacent, they sealed matters after Marcus Campbell’s cross found Morton in the area, who’s shot was initially saved by Woolley before Morton followed up the rebound to score Langwith’s fourth. In spite of the set back, Goodricke continued to show promise while their resilience should provide optimism to take into their next crucial games in their bid to remain in the division. This was typified by Jon Courtney’s determined run as he fired wide in what was the last notable action of the game.

After the game Langwith captain, Tom Benney spoke to Nouse saying, “We started brightly but it was quite windy which made it difficult. We played well in the first half but in the second half we were probably a bit complacent and we were guilty of holding the ball too much. It is a bottom of the table clash so it was a good win for us.”

Meanwhile, Goodricke captain, Aaron Sullivan said, “It was an awful first half, we let them control the game and score some easy goals and our heads went down. Considering we went down to ten men because of injury, the work rate was unbelievable and I can’t fault any of them, we just need to find that hunger from the start.”

Langwith: Le Cornu (GK); Pegg, Campbell, Chaimo, Benney (C); Hudson, Vidal, Parsonson, Morton; Teffy, Gohil-Patel. Subs: Tennant-Fry, Hannah.

Goodricke: Woolley (GK); Thomas, Carmichael, Rayat, Duffin; Sullivan (C), Courtney, Lewis, Bruce, Hurst; Tandy.

Man of the Match: Dyaus Gohil-Patel