University awards four new honorary doctorates

A playwright and chemist are amongst the four people who have been honoured by the University

The University of York has issued four new honorary doctorates for 2015, each representing a different field of academia.

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

A playwright, a chemist, a criminal psychologist and a medical scientist will be recognised on the 23 and 24 January for significant contributions and achievements in their respective fields.

Honours recipient Michael Frayn’s plays have been performed in lengthy runs at the National Theatre and on Broadway, securing himself a bounty of critical and commercial success. He is also a renowned novelist, best known for his works Headlong and Spies.

Professor Odile Eisenstein, Director of Research Emeritus at the National Center for Scientific Research in France, receives her honorary doctorate for work in computational chemistry.

Professor Eisenstein has been an Honorary Visiting Professor at York since 2001.

Renowned for his research into the neurological causes of violent crime, Oxford and York graduate Professor Adrian Raine has published five books, and over three hundred and fifty journal articles to date, in addition to working as a lecturer and prison psychologist.

Professor Sir Michael Brady receives his honorary degree for his outstanding contributions to developing computer-based medical imaging and processing and its application to medical issues including breast and colorectal cancers.