Kick-Start the New Year

discusses the must-have mens footwear of 2015

With the current wet and cold weather, the fashion-savvy student should be well prepared for some serious waterproofing. Amid the slush and sub-zero temperatures, durability and practicality are priorities in his selection of footwear. That being said, there’s no need to compromise on style. Here are some essentials to help combat the year’s dullest season.

The Double Monk Shoe

Dr. Marten Jules Shoe, £115 at www.drmartens.com/uk

Aldo Benezer Monk Shoe, £95 at Aldo

Who needs laces when you’ve got straps? And while you’re at it, why go for single when you can have double? The double monk strap shoe is the dressiest shoe ever designed. Often seen as the no-laced amalgamation of its counterparts, the Oxford and Derby Shoe, it is an essential that is guaranteed to turn heads. With brown leather and suede variations complementing denim jeans, its contemporary style will satisfy even those opting for the most casual – yet sophisticated – of looks.

The Chelsea Boot

Leather Chelsea Boots £145 at Ted Baker

Originally crafted for horse riding and then popularised in the 1960s by the mod culture scene in King’s Road, the Chelsea boot has made a comeback as an autumn footwear staple, and it’s not difficult to see why. With its minimalist design and sleek profile, the Chelsea boot offers versatility like no other. Black Chelsea boots look effortlessly stylish with black skinny jeans, while burgundy options will cater to those hoping to inject a ‘dressy casual’ vibe. Be it a suit or a pair of chinos, the beauty of the Chelsea Boot is its ability to seamlessly complement the rest of your wardrobe.

The Trainer

Nike Flyknit Trainer Chukka SFB £150 at Nike

While it may seem like a peculiar choice, trainers can provide all the protection you need against the harsh weather conditions – providing you buy the right pair. Representing the epitome of comfort in a shoe, Chukka Trainers offer elevated rubber soles, keeping one’s feet away from slush, while providing as much warmth as any winter boot can. Appropriate for all seasons, be sure to invest in a pair.