Backstage with Coasts

Straight off the back of their appearance at Zane Lowe’s Future Festival, Chris Caines talks band dynamics with

Photo Credit: Tidal Recordings

Photo Credit: Tidal Recordings

What’s the origin of your band name?

Blimey, it was weird, we’d already started writing as a group together, and it was just one of those things where we were just thinking of really simple images that would fit with what we were writing. We’d written things like ‘Stay’ which were all really summery and upbeat, so Coasts sort of fitted in with that.

Who are your major influences?

You can obviously hear dance music in there, but we love pop music as well. There are guitar bands we’re into, like The Police and Echo and The Bunnymen, as well as new bands like Foals, and also things like 90s house.

How long have you known each other?

We met at uni, so we’ve known each other for about seven years. We’ve been in previous bands before, but in Coasts we’re all the best of mates. We used to bunk off lessons because we weren’t doing music.

Who is the songwriter in the band?

Liam writes the music and I write the lyrics and the melody, but we group together after the song has been written to tweak it. If I’ve written a line they don’t like, we change it. We just want to write the best music possible – we’re not really precious about it.

And what are your rehearsals like? Are they quite spontaneous?

No, because we don’t live in the same town, it all has to be really well planned out. I live in London, so does Ben, our drummer. Liam is in Brighton, so it all has to be planned. We usually do really intense periods – for a week, we’ll rehearse all day.

How has your music evolved since you first began playing together?

I guess you’re always influenced by things you hear. We’re always going to write upbeat pop music, but your influences change and evolve.

Do you have a direction? Do you know where you want to get to?

Eventually we want to play stadiums. I hate it when bands say that they don’t want to play stadiums; you’re doing this to play to as many people as possible, so why not go on to try and achieve that?

What has been your biggest challenge as a band?

To be honest, eveything really, really works. We lived together for quite a few years and that really helped us as a band because we’re so close. When we meet it’s like we’ve never been apart. Money was really tough, but it’s getting much easier now.

Where have you performed and what has your favourite venue been?

We’ve done UK and Europe, so we’ve done Germany, Holland, Belgium and France…Our favourite place? Our show in Camden was pretty cool the last time we played there, just because it was our biggest headline show, and the vibe was amazing. We love playing in Europe though, the crowds there are really cool.

And finally, how do you feel about illegal music downloads?

It’s a tough one. I don’t really mind it. I think it’s just part and parcel of the music industry now, and we just need to accept it.