Album Review: Nicki Minaj – The Pinkprint

New queen of hip-hop returns for album number 3

The Pinkprint is an affirmation of the enoNicki Minaj album coverrmous magnitude of female presence in the Hip-hop genre. Despite Anaconda being the expected indication of Nicki Minaj’s direction, the album opens with ‘All Things Go’, a slow hip-hop number with trap beats that initiates listeners to take the album seriously.

This hip-hop fest, featuring the standard Nicki Minaj raunchy themes, nicely pads out the album and complements the highlights instead of acting as a thematic route for filler tracks. Such highlights feature Minaj’s collaborations with big names such as Beyoncé, Ariana Grande and Jeremih. ‘Feeling Myself’ and ‘Favorite’ are two that provide significant peaks during a full album run.

Inevitably, ‘Anaconda’  will make its infamous impression upon the album and you will probably love or hate this. It is likely that you’ve been patiently waiting for a ‘Starships’ or a ‘Pound the Alarm’ to crop up in the first half hour of the album and so this change of tone will likely be welcomed by many.

Despite the standard edition of The Pinkprint weighing in at a whopping 16 tracks in length, the pace and quality of the last 5 tracks is strongly maintained, as Minaj’s ode to pop ‘Pills n Potions’ and the serious ballad ‘Grand Piano’ continue to demonstrate the versatility of Nicki Minaj as a hip-Hop artist.

Whilst the presence of dance/pop tracks seems quite lacking for a follow-up to Roman Reloaded, The Pinkprint’s strength comes in its confidence. The quality and coherence of the album demonstrates the effort that was no doubt put in by Minaj and her collaborators. For an artist whose significant reputation often precedes her music, The Pinkprint ultimately is a reminder of Nicki Minaj’s roots as an artist whilst effortlessly deviating, when necessary, for the sake of commercial radio.

Rating: ★★★☆☆