Review: Night at the Museum: Secret of the Tomb

The late Robin Williams gives his last performance in the latest Night at the Museum adventure. reviews

night at the museum secret of the tomb releases

Director: Shawn Levy
Starring: Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Owen Wilson
Running time: 97 minutes
Rating: ★★★☆☆

Night at the Museum: Secret Of the Tomb is a fun family movie, but doesn’t deliver the same amount of laughs as the previous films.

The latest instalment of the Night at the Museum trilogy follows Larry Daley (Ben Stiller) as he travels to London to fix the tablet that brings the exhibits to life. Teddy Roosevelt (Robin Williams), Jedediah (Owen Wilson) and Octavius (Steve Coogan) join him on the journey. New faces include Rebel Wilson as Tilly, a security guard, and Downton Abbey’s Dan Stevens as Sir Lancelot. Stevens shines and Wilson gives a great performance given the constraints of her part. Hugh Jackman and Alice Eve make a memorable and entertaining cameo, which fans will appreciate and enjoy.

Whilst some of the young children will enjoy some of the jokes and moments, others might find it repetitive, as many of the gags are similar to those in the previous films. However, there are a few comical elements and chase scenes to keep everybody entertained for a while.

Larry’s son, Nick, once again features in this film, but is played by Sklyer Gisondo instead of Jake Cherry. Whilst Stiller and Gisondo have a good father/ son dynamic, the subplot of Nick wanting to DJ instead of going to college feels forced and lifeless. It looks and feels like the actors did not put a lot of heart into it. Fortunately, the subplot takes a backseat to the rest of the action and magic.

The film is one of the last ones both Robin Williams and Mickey Rooney stars in. Williams’ death adds a poignancy that is especially highlighted with Stiller’s and Williams’ last scene. Many will watch this film to say goodbye to two of Hollywood’s greats.

Even though the film is not as funny as the others, it is still a pleasant enough and fun film to watch.