Vanbrugh rally to thrash Goodricke

A hat-trick from striker Liam Sides saw Vanbrugh come from a goal behind to run out 5-1 winners against Goodricke

Vanbrugh Firsts
5
1
Goodricke Firsts

Revolution Premier League

James Hostford

Vanbrugh bounced back from being a goal down to record a convincing 5-1 victory over Goodricke in their first match of this term’s Revolution Premier League. With both teams having to endure blustery conditions it was ultimately Vanbrugh who were able to adapt the better, as their menacing second half display proved.

The match began brightly with both teams going long and direct to seek an immediate impact. It was Goodricke who took the lead, however, as a marauding forward move was led by Matt Jeffery who played in Luke Sides, before he struck a wonderful drive which ricocheted in off the upright.

Vanbrugh went in search of an equaliser with the dangerous trio of Liam Sides, Joe Watkins and captain Joe Lund linking up to good effect, before Lund’s cross blazed dangerously across goal with no one there to meet it. Vanbrugh were increasingly looking the more likely, as they began to enjoy a greater share of possession. They nearly found a goal of their own after a scrappy corner fell to Joe Watkins, who’s shot was smothered by goalkeeper Alex Woolley.

Vanbrugh found their equaliser courtesy of forward Liam Sides. Breaking the offside trap, he neatly cut inside and smashed the ball into the net, while Goodricke’s desperate offside appeals were simply in vain. This instigated a period in play where Vanbrugh dominated possession as they intricately probed their opposition in a bid to take the lead.

However, Goodricke were resilient in their defence, with Robbie Anderson commandeering his back line in an impressive fashion. Nevertheless, Vanbrugh were in the ascendancy as the whistle signalled half-time.

With the wind behind them, Goodricke went into the second period looking to produce a more attacking threat. Yet this failed to come to fruition in what was a scrappy beginning to the half, with Vanbrugh’s Liam Sides having the only notable effort which sailed harmlessly over the crossbar. In truth, both sides were guilty of conceding possession far too easily in the opening exchanges, while a lack of quality in the final third threatened to turn the game into a drab affair.

It was, therefore, a momentary lapse of concentration which sparked the second period into life. Anderson, who had thus far had acquitted himself admirably at centre half, allowed the ball to roll off his foot into the path of Liam Sides who nonchalantly chipped the ball over the on rushing Woolley to put Vanbrugh into the lead.

Sides completed his hat-trick soon after following an impressive show of pace down the left wing, before he typically cut inside his man and once more lobbed the helpless Goodricke keeper. By this time, Goodricke’s heads had dropped as their passing went astray all too often. Vanbrugh, meanwhile, were unrelenting in their pursuit for a fourth and soon had one through Watkins whose thunderous strike cannoned in off the post.

In the closing stages, Goodricke still sought a foothold in the game as they ventured into the opposition’s final third. In fact, they could feel aggrieved that Vanbrugh were not reduced to ten men after Matt Tandy broke through on goal only to be felled by goalkeeper Donnell-Ford. Despite seemingly having prevented a goal scoring opportunity just outside the area, the referee merely showed a yellow card for the goalkeeper’s offence. The subsequent free-kick came to nothing, with Goodricke still reeling from their perceived injustice.

It mattered little, however, as, soon after, Vanbrugh scored their fifth. Following good link up play, Side’s effort was well saved by Woolley only for the ball to fall into the path of Joe Lund. The captain made no mistake from close range, converting to finish what was a resounding victory for Vanbrugh.

After the game, Vanbrugh vice-captain, Elliot Glanville said,”It was definitely a deserved win, it was a tight start to the game we were a bit slow at the start but in the second half we dominated.”

Meanwhile, a disappointed Aaron Sullivan also spoke to Nouse saying, “In the first twenty minutes of the second half we upped our game, but after we let that third goal in our heads went down and we just didn’t work as hard as we should have. We have a lot to work on in future games. But, Robbie (Anderson) put in a lot of work at the back and made some good interceptions.”

Vanbrugh:Donnell-Ford (GK); Siddle, Brennan, Dunkley, Tabas; Lund (C), Carruthers, Vyvyan, Polts; Watkins, Sides. Subs: Picknell, Glanville.

Goodricke: Woolley (GK); Duffin, Carmichael, Anderson, Thomas; Lewis, Sullivan (C), Boyle, Sides; Jeffery, Tandy.

Man of the Match: Liam Sides