Champions battle for opening victory

Derwent got off to a solid start in this term’s Revolution Premier Division whilst Langwith will be buoyed from pushing the Champions so close

Derwent Firsts
4
2
Langwith Firsts

James Hostford

Derwent had to work hard to overcome a spirited display from Langwith. Last term’s Revolution Premier Division champions lost a two goal lead only to secure a vital first win after their rivals, James College, beat newly promoted Derwent 2’s 6-1.

Both teams got off to a great start, testing their opposition’s ‘keeper early on despite the blustery conditions playing more of a part in proceedings than either team or their tactics.

However, once both teams got the ball on the floor and starting playing, there was a lot of quality on show. Derwent got the breakthrough by a lovely, flowing move. Henry Ferrao set off on a mazy run, then laid the ball off to Joe Easter. A deft touch by Easter saw the ball come to Josh Bew, who finished sublimely into the bottom corner on the turn.

Winger Sam Weighall nearly instantly doubled Derwent’s lead but his shot struck the bar. The champions did not have to wait long for their second goal. A foul on Ryan Gwinnett on the left corner of the area led to a free kick, which Gwinnett himself took. A low, drilled ball into the area evaded everyone and left Langwith ‘keeper le Cornu stranded and uncertain, eventually finding its way in to make it 2-0.

Langwith’s response was swift, halving the Derwent lead within five minutes. Dyaus Gohil-Patel, who had looked bright throughout the first half, found himself through on goal having beaten his man. Despite Felix Aylett’s best efforts, Gohil-Patel curled a cool finish into the back of the net for 2-1.

No sooner had the match restarted, Langwith were on the attack and won themselves a corner. Gohil-Patel curled a second ball in after the first was cleared, which came to Matt Morton. Though he scuffed his shot, the ball fell kindly to Ben Grindall who slotted home under Aylett.

Despite the fightback, Derwent would still go into the break ahead. Joe Easter stood over a free kick from 25 yards out, and struck an accurate shot into the bottom corner, though Steve le Cornu looked disappointed he could not keep it out.

After the break, Langwith started to look the more impressive of the two teams. Gohil-Patel missed a similar chance to the once he scored in the first half, only managing to clip wide of the post amid furious protests for offside from the Derwent back four.

Joe Easter and Sam Weighall both missed good chances to put the game beyond their opponents, though the latter did manage to do so in the dying minutes of the match. An incisive break from Derwent saw Weighall through and he finished the move to seal three points for his side.

Derwent captain, Ryan Gwinnett, spoke to Nouse about his team’s performance, commenting, “We made really hard work of that, we just didn’t put our chances away that’s all. But I thought the freshers that came in did really well.” He further spoke about the difficulties Derwent are set to face now that their first and second teams are to play in the same division. “That’s why I only took 12 [players] today, I thought ‘I’ll give them a fighting chance against James.’ The aim is for us to win the league and for them to stay up, that’ll be a good season for us.”

Langwith skipper Tom Benney was understandably exasperated, commenting, “[it was a] good performance today. Can’t fault the effort, everyone battled really well. Their quality probably just showed towards the end.”

Derwent: F. Aylett (GK), A. Ingham, S. Whittall, L. Castaglione, M. Askham, J. Easter, A. Naylor, R. Gwinnett (C), S. Weighall, H. Ferrao, J. Bew. Subs: J. Whittaker

Langwith: S. le Cornu (GK), A. Abubaker, T. Pickersgil, O. Henn, T. Benne (C), B. Hudson, M. Vidal, M. Campbell, D. Gohil-Patel, B. Grindall, M. Morton. Subs L. Pegg, A. Chaimo, O. Okusanye

1. “A deft touch by Easter saw the ball come to Josh Bew, who finished sublimely into the bottom corner on the turn.”

You are my favourite writer. I actually read all of this match report, start to finish, and I hate football.