Live Review: Coasts

heads to the band’s Leeds Brudenell Social Club gig to find out what all the fuss is about

Photo Credit: Bekka

Photo Credit: Bekka Collins

The five piece band, Coasts (made up of Chris Caines – vocals, Liam Willford – guitar, David Goulbourn – keys, James Gamage – bass, Ben Street – drums), performed in mid November at Leeds Brudenell Social Club. Bursting onto the stage with a hair flick and a nod of the head, front man Chris makes his appearance after the band deliver resonating distorted sounds for several minutes to a generously sized audience.

They launch straight into their set, shoegazing and bopping about the stage, absorbed by the melodious oozing from their instruments, with occasional interaction with the patterned shirt and denim-jacketed spectators: “Shouldn’t have worn a jumper, it’s hot up here!” shouts Chris.

Each song is punctuated at the beginning with an introduction from the front man as Liam and James bend down and adjust numerous pedals, creating the unique combination of a pop and psychedelic tone that their music is rapidly becoming widely renowned for.

Photo Credit: Bekka Collins

Photo Credit: Bekka Collins

Powering through the well-known material, they also mix in unreleased tracks, which are received as warmly by the audience as the familiar songs. Ending with an explosive performance of ‘Oceans’, they close the set in style.

Coasts undoubtedly stir a sense of exhilaration with their memorable riffs and melodies, and, accompanied by frequent bouncing and dancing on stage from the passionate ensemble, it’s almost impossible to not be uplifted by their enthusiasm. This is definitely a band to look out for at a venue near you in 2015.

1. They also headlined GoodFest 2014!!!