York academic awarded OBE in New Year Honours List

Professor Robin Millar has been recognised for his contribution to Science Education

Professor Robin Millar, a University of York academic from the Department of Education, has been included in the 2015 New Year Honours list for his services to science education.

Image: University of York

Image: University of York

He is one of 243 chosen to be awarded an OBE.

The Honours List, published bi-annually, aims to pay tribute to the “achievements and service of extraordinary people across the United Kingdom”.

A Natural Sciences graduate from the University of Cambridge, Millar arrived at the University of York 32 years ago to lecture in Science Education after completing a Medical Physics PhD at the University of Edinburgh and 8 years of science teaching in schools.

His projects include the coordination of a research network in the Teaching and Learning Research Programme, and involvement in Salters Science, GCSE Twenty First Century Science, and A-level Science in Society curriculum development programmes.

A spokesman from the University of York said the University is “extremely pleased that [Millar’s] outstanding contribution to science education has been recognised in the New Year’s Honours List.”

The Honours List has included several University of York employees in the past. The 2014 New Year List recognised Gordon Eastham, Grounds Maintenance Manager of the University, for his services to higher education. The Queen’s Birthday List last June included Professor Hilary Graham, Head of the Health Sciences Department, and Dr Jane Grenville, Deputy Vice-Chancellor and Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Students, for their contributions to Social Science and higher education respectively.

Robin Millar remains a member of the University’s Centre for Innovation and Research in Science Education after retiring last summer following forty years in the education field.