Baker-Procrastinator: Swedish Chocolate Cake

This Christmas, good things come in small packages

Image: Deborah Lam

Image: Deborah Lam

Christmas is a wonderful time of family and food, unless your family is approximately 7000 miles away. On the upside, there’s always still food. And to get you in the festive cheer during the day while waiting for Christmas parties to start at night, there is no better way to put off writing essays or studying for exams come first week of term than to bake.

Now chocolate cakes may be a dime a dozen, but, as it is with flat-pack furniture and meatballs, the Swedes know what they’re doing. Whether you’re making this cake-pudding hybrid for a party, for gifts or simply for your own lonely consumption (I myself will be using it for a bit of all three), you can always count on chocolate to be a great people-pleaser for the young ‘uns who disdain alcoholic Christmassy desserts or the general, chocolate-loving public.

Ingredients

• 110g flour
  • 320g sugar
  • 55g cocoa powder
  • 135g salted butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ¼ to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, depending on taste
  • 3 large eggs
  • Softly whipped cream for topping

Method

1. Grease either a seven-inch spring form cake tin or twelve ovenproof jars.

2.Preheat oven to 175˚C.

3. Melt your butter in a pan or in the microwave on low heat, making sure it doesn’t boil.

4. Combine all the dry ingredients.

5. Mix together the butter and vanilla extract.

6. Beat the eggs in one at a time for the mixture to combine more easily until you get a thick but pourable batter.

7. Pour the batter into your tin or evenly into the twelve jars.

8. If using the tin, bake for 30-35 minutes. If using the jars, 15–20 minutes, depending on the size of your jars. The outside should be firm, but the inside should be undercooked and gooey with a pudding texture.

9. Top with whipped cream.