University of York recognised for excellence in research

The University was ranked 14th overall out of 155 higher education institutions

The University of York has been ranked 14th overall and 10th for impact in the new Research Excellence Framework (REF).

Image: Nouse

Image: Nouse

The University slid four places from its 2008 ranking of 10, coming joint 14th with the Universities of Bath and Sheffield.

However, the University’s proportion of 4* status research activity is still amongst the highest of any UK institution, with eight departments ranking in the top five for their subject and twelve in the top ten for their research impact.

The University showed particular strengths in the sciences, social sciences and humanities with 12 of York’s 24 departments ranking in the top ten nationally. Biology, Social Policy and Social Work placed first within their respective fields.

In particular the Sociology department led the way for research excellence ranking first for both impact and outcome of research, one of only two departments in the country to do so.

Both English and History secured an impressive second place with other top ten departments including: Archaeology, Biology, Computer Science, Health Sciences, History of Art, Law, Politics, Psychology, and Social Policy and Social Work. The majority of York’s academic departments ranked within the top 20 nationally.

Vice-Chancellor Koen Lamberts, Vice-Chancellor of the University of York, commended the University’s position, saying: “This is a strong set of results which demonstrates the University’s research excellence across subject areas.”

He added: “The REF provides an independent confirmation of the strength of the University’s research and how it makes a real difference nationally and internationally.”